advertisement

UK Election 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's why it's 326 for a majority....

What combination do you suggest could have passed a Queen's speech and maintained a government for 5 years?

I'm sensing a tiny bit of desperation here. Is that representative of Labour on the ground?

Paul

I'm sensing anticipation and fear of another five years of tory onslaught but definitely not desperation. Apart from a few passing conversations with close colleagues no-one I know is talking 'coalition'. I was out with someone very close to Miliband last weekend and even he didn't mention it. Goodness only knows what everybody else is saying!

I discuss it on here quite a bit. :)

IMO anything involving the SNP will be a disaster, for everybody, and it's hard to see how the LDs can smoothly move from one bed to another. Which doesn't leave much hope given the current state of the polls.

Paul

I think you have got your orange tinted spectacles on here. The Libs shifted markedly to the Right following publication of the Orange Book in 2004; and the policies and changes this brought to the LibDems in the few years after that formed the basis of their coalition with the Tories in 2010. Without that shift it's very unlikely that they would have formed a government with the Tories (or the Tories would have wanted them).

Interesting to contrast and compare the 2010 & 2015 party positions here: www.politicalcompass.org/uk2015 You are right the LDs have moved a bit, but they are barely to the right of Labour and a whole world less authoritarian (always Labour's weakness). Their 2010 position is far preferable to now IMO, though a return back to the musli-eating sandal-wearing university lecturer position would get my vote.

I saw the Lib-Dem manifesto launch and was struck by how right of centre the party sounded. Maybe it's just Clegg's public school background that, for me, puts him in the same mental box as Cameron and the like. During the launch, there was much talk of fairness and equality of opportunity but that's just a fantasy to most children living in inner city sink estates. I'd like to think Clegg doesn't represent the views of the majority of Lib-Dem activists but the party really does seem to have shifted decisively to the right under his leadership.

I saw the Lib-Dem manifesto launch and was struck by how right of centre the party sounded. Maybe it's just Clegg's public school background that, for me, puts him in the same mental box as Cameron and the like.

Plus Clegg was a member of the Cambridge University Conservative Association. A wealthy public schoolboy who went to Cambridge and joined the Conservatives. No wonder being Tory-lite came so easy to him http://conservativehome.blogs.com/centreright/2008/04/nick-cleggs-tor.html

Plus Clegg was a member of the Cambridge University Conservative Association. A wealthy public schoolboy who went to Cambridge and joined the Conservatives. No wonder being Tory-lite came so easy to him http://conservativehome.blogs.com/centreright/2008/04/nick-cleggs-tor.html

You didn't read far then lol -

"To be fair, and I am not that keen on LibDems in general, when I was at Cambridge I knew several people who belonged to CUCA who weren't Conservative supporters, and even some who were paid up members of CUCA, CULS (Labour Students) *AND* the LibDems (can't remember what they were called).

The reason was simple: the Tories were in power throughout the eighties and most of the nineties, and there were many Cambridge alumni in the Cabinet. But if you were generally interested in politics and wanted to hear these senior Cabinet ministers when they came up to, you had to join CUCA to get in to the speaker meeting."

IMO anything involving the SNP will be a disaster, for everybody,
Paul

Not at all.

SNP leader Nicola Sturgeon has promised to represent the interests of voters across the UK, if her party wins influence at Westminster.

Ms Sturgeon launched the nationalists' election manifesto, pledging to fight for public spending increases and end cuts across Britain.

And you will have Nicola's shoe collection to admire.

Nicola Sturgeon has 'promised' to represent the interests of voters across the UK......even though her party were created with a main ambition/desire to exit the UK. So like UKIP looking out for the interests of the EU then?

Nicola Sturgeon has 'promised' to represent the interests of voters across the UK......even though her party were created with a main ambition/desire to exit the UK. So like UKIP looking out for the interests of the EU then?

Spilt my coffee on that one. :D

Can't believe what I've been reading. The Libdems have been a disgrace and will rightfully disappear into oblivion soon.

You vote Labour or tory and you know what you get. Nobody has any idea with the LDs, only that they will be motivated by staying on the gravy train ahead of anything, for example demanding a proper referendum on PR.

You vote Labour or tory and you know what you get.

Indeed, but some of us don't want crap again! Given the choice between two proven failures and any alternate surely it makes sense to choose the alternate as long as it is not extreme/choose an option that may dilute the impact of the proven failure?

Indeed, but some of us don't want crap again! Given the choice between two proven failures and any alternate surely it makes sense to choose the alternate as long as it is not extreme/choose an option that may dilute the impact of the proven failure?

Tony,

The point I was making is with Labour and tory, if you vote for either you know what you're voting for. With Libdems you don't. That they propped up a tory govt is unforgiveable. If they had forced a referendum on PR I would see why they did it but as it stands I think a few individuals just wanted their moment.

CDEPxVdWYAAvZyo.jpg

Don't big your party up. There's an unofficial pact in many areas between typical labour and tory voters who'd rather settle for the libdem's than live with the alternative. Billy Bragg votes libdem for God's sake!

Don't big your party up. There's an unofficial pact in many areas between typical labour and tory voters who'd rather settle for the libdem's than live with the alternative. Billy Bragg votes libdem for God's sake!

I'm not bigging them up. I consider both Conservative and Labour utterly hopeless and unfit for purpose, I have no time for either as I am neither idle landed gentry or an exploited mill worker looking for a trade union! The LibDems tended to be my first choice as they were the only ones who campaigned on a PR ticket and ditching the system is my first priority. I'm stuck in a strong Labour seat so my vote is actually a complete waste of my time and I'm as yet undecided as to whether to turn up at all yet, though I may either spoil my paper or help one of the smaller parties/independents save their deposit. I very definitely will not be voting either Labour or Conservative, though I would actually vote for my local MP if he was an independent as he's a decent bloke and I respect the pressure he's putting on the powers seeking to cover-up pedogeddon etc. I just refuse to vote Labour again after Blair, Straw, Blears and the rest of that war-criminal/nasty little authoritarian crowd. FWIW the main reason I probably won't vote LibDem is that they haven't to my mind dealt with the whole Cyril Smith thing very well at all. They look little better than the Tories in that respect, and that is exceptionally bad!

Can't believe what I've been reading. The Libdems have been a disgrace and will rightfully disappear into oblivion soon.

Yeah and it will be great if Clegg loses his seat.

Nicola Sturgeon and the SNP are the most inspired politicians in the UK. They and the Greens have the only decent policies.

All the rest are right-wing, EU, corporation Nazis.

Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back