advertisement

UK Budget 2021

droodzilla

pfm Member
Thought I'd get this thread rolling, mainly because I want to share this by Lewis Goodall:

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1366773289247465475
Question: what is the public interest reason for this video, exactly? It isn’t unlike a party political broadcast but in this case paid for (and branded) by HM Treasury.
It's a good question isn't it? Especially now the UK media has a renewed interest in uncovering dodgy practices by politicians. Or is that zeal only applied to certain Scottish politicians?

Anyway, let's see what tomorrow brings. Will the Tories really outflank Labour from the left on economic policy?

Anyway, let's see what tomorrow brings. Will the Tories really outflank Labour from the left on economic policy?

The Tories are 100% popularist right, and part of that Trumpian ideology is to give the impression they are on the side of working folk whilst never taking their own hands out of the till for even a second. We’ve seen it play out for 4 years in America now, what we get tomorrow will just be more Trump. As such it isn’t outflanking Labour from “the left” as a) Labour don’t have enough ideological integrity to even have a map location these days, and b) whatever is promised won’t be delivered anyway. It will just be platitudes and soundbites for red wall seats. Labour will have no answers as they just have no answers. That much isn’t the Tories fault!

PS I’ve no intention of giving Sunak’s video a watch. The whole idea of (I assume publicly funded) PR movies from these crooks is just beyond comprehension and I’m not prepared to add a view to the count!

‘Thanks to our glorious Prime Minister we are now firmly on the road to the sunlit uplands... EU... shackles... trade deals... etc. Sadly Covid has slowed our progress, so you - *cough* - sorry, I mean we, are all going to have to tighten your belts. Our belts. Oh bollocks.’ Or words to that effect.

When I saw it I thought to myself that Sunak looks dynamic, intelligent, sensitive. Like a leader, a prime minister, like Blair at the turn of the century.
Question: what is the public interest reason for this video, exactly? It isn’t unlike a party political broadcast but in this case paid for (and branded) by HM Treasury.

The Tories are 100% popularist right, and part of that Trumpian ideology is to give the impression they are on the side of working folk whilst never taking their own hands out of the till for even a second. We’ve seen it play out for 4 years in America now, what we get tomorrow will just be more Trump. As such it isn’t outflanking Labour from “the left” as a) Labour don’t have enough ideological integrity to even have a map location these days, and b) whatever is promised won’t be delivered anyway. It will just be platitudes and soundbites for red wall seats. Labour will have no answers as they just have no answers. That much isn’t the Tories fault!

PS I’ve no intention of giving Sunak’s video a watch. The whole idea of (I assume publicly funded) PR movies from these crooks is just beyond comprehension and I’m not prepared to add a view to the count!

And everyone’s happy, no one’s complaining, the vaccine means that soon things will be back to how they were before, we can go to the shops and spend spend spend, in 2022 there’ll be a foreign holiday to look forward to, even the lost generation will be found again with their mortgage guarantee scheme, so the corruption is irrelevant, who gives a fk, it’s just human nature and we’re all OK. One Dimensional Man.

When I saw it I thought to myself that Sunak looks dynamic, intelligent, sensitive. Like a leader, a prime minister, like Blair at the turn of the century.
I’m not watching it but I can imagine. The memo has most definitely been widely circulated - remember the BBC’s Super Sunak bit - and without wanting to seem fatalistic Sunak’s premiership is basically locked in.

When I saw it I thought to myself that Sunak looks dynamic, intelligent, sensitive.

I’d be very interested to see the bill for it. PR films, pop videos etc are very far from cheap and if he’s now ringing-up the tax payer for vanity projects I’d certainly like to see how much of the money we give in good faith for education, healthcare, fixing potholes, museums etc has been misappropriated/siphoned. Sure, it will be a drop in the ocean compared to the amount his party have stolen from us in the ongoing contracts for donors scandal, but even so, they should at least have the basic decency to show us the bill and exactly how much is now no longer available for say dealing with PTSD cases on the NHS frontline.

I’d be very interested to see the bill for it. PR films, pop videos etc are very far from cheap and if he’s now ringing-up the tax payer for vanity projects I’d certainly like to see how much of the money we give in good faith for education, healthcare, fixing potholes, museums etc has been misappropriated/siphoned. Sure, it will be a drop in the ocean compared to the amount his party have stolen from us in the ongoing contracts for donors scandal, but even so, they should at least have the basic decency to show us the bill and exactly how much is now no longer available for say dealing with PTSD cases on the NHS frontline.
Agreed. Essentially, it's a campaign video for Sunak's leadership bid.

It's aimed at a tiny audience of media pundits (what normal person would watch it?), who have dutifully amplified the message.

Why should taxpayers fund it?

Agreed. Essentially, it's a campaign video for Sunak's leadership bid.

It's aimed at a tiny audience of media pundits (what normal person would watch it?), who have dutifully amplified the message.

Well, taxpayers fund election campaigns, and election campaigns are now just struggles between different factions of the Conservative Party, so you could argue that actually it's good and right that we fund Sunak's leadership bid, just as we should fund Gove's, Raab's etc. Otherwise, if rivals had to fund their own campaigns, Sunak would actually be at *more* of an advantage, since he's a billionaire while the others are merely millionaires.

You see these things are just a little more nuanced than your typical lefty Tory-bashing will allow for!

I just wish Labour would leak their response to the media and maybe put out a youtube video or two, then I could avoid the news for a couple of days

This sort of thing really makes me livid. As I say I refuse to watch it, so for all I know he may have made it with an iPhone, but I’d bet against that as he’s a Tory so a) entirely devoid of artistic talent, b) has a totally cavalier attitude to public finance. If it is a slick professional PR film I’d bet at between £50-100k minimum, and that is likely the equivalent of the tax revenue that the combined checkout, shelf-stacking and admin workforce of the local 24hr Asda generate in a year. Everything these comparatively low-income workers have deducted in a year to pay for the NHS, police, fixing potholes etc pissed up the wall by a billionaire for a self-serving vanity project. Seriously WTAF?!

The whole UK political establishment needs hosing out, disinfecting and starting again from scratch.

PS Focus Group Labour will just be looking at it thinking they need personal PR videos too, so as ever they are no use to us.

Well, taxpayers fund election campaigns, and election campaigns are now just struggles between different factions of the Conservative Party, so you could argue that actually it's good and right that we fund Sunak's leadership bid, just as we should fund Gove's, Raab's etc. Otherwise, if rivals had to fund their own campaigns, Sunak would actually be at *more* of an advantage, since he's a billionaire while the others are merely millionaires.

You see these things are just a little more nuanced than your typical lefty Tory-bashing will allow for!

Priceless

Amazingly, Sunak has made another promo video for his bid to become PM:

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1367059443939225602

Well, technically, it's an item on BBC News, but I'm buggered if I can tell the difference.

sunak-superman.jpg

advertisement

Back