advertisement

UK ‘rejected offer’ of visa-free tours by musicians in EU

Tarring everyone who voted to leave the EU with the same brush is pretty much the same as those who tarred all furriners with the same brush. Equally ignorant, and divisive.

One hundred percent of the people that I know who voted to leave had racism at the core of their decision.

Anyway. It is not just EU national musicians who will find it more difficult to visit the UK. There is a semi-active African music scene here in Zurich and apparently, a lot of tour managers have said that they won't bother applying for visas for the UK because it's not worth it for one or three gigs.

Yeah, we've been here before. We also know keeping the furriners out was a key driver in Brexit. Your suggestion that pointing this out is akin to tarring all Brexit voters with the same brush has been rejected as a cop out before. I'm rejecting it now. Not every Brexit voter is a racist, but every racist voted Brexit.

You got what you wanted. Own it. All of it.
It stings, doesn't it?

One hundred percent of the people that I know who voted to leave had racism at the core of their decision.

Anyway. It is not just EU national musicians who will find it more difficult to visit the UK. There is a semi-active African music scene here in Zurich and apparently, a lot of tour managers have said that they won't bother applying for visas for the UK because it's not worth it for one or three gigs.
I'd hate to be in your social circle, then.
If true, it's sad about the music. Most of what I what I listen to these days is either West African or South American. Mind you, here in Plymouth, we don't get much in the way of that kind of live music at the best of times!

I really can't see any real hassle - so, a visa is needed, as for the entire rest of the world. Why should musicians be exempt from what far more people with far more economically important jobs have to go through? The holiday industry will be worth FAR more than anything associated with musicians trotting backwards and forwards across the Channel - maybe we should exempt all holiday-makers for visa requirements?
We do.

The holiday industry will be worth FAR more than anything associated with musicians trotting backwards and forwards across the Channel - maybe we should exempt all holiday-makers for visa requirements?

We already have, tourists from the UK visiting the EU don’t need a visa. A similar offer for working musicians was on the table but the UK government rejected it. Why I have no idea (unless they were frightened of being invaded by an army of French accordion players and German Oompah bands).

So why would a musician not travel on a holiday visa?

When they're having a holiday, yes, but most of the time they're travelling and playing professionally, they're working and that would need a different visa.

So the EU now treats UK artists the same as everyone else and the UK treats EU artists the same as everyone else.

Actually we're worse off than some of the EU''s other neighbours who it appears DO have this arrangement.

From the Indie article:
“It is usually in our agreements with third countries, that [work] visas are not required for musicians. We tried to include it, but the UK said no,” an EU source close to the negotiations said.

A visa is not a work permit

It is permission to enter a country for certain reasons. Most countries tend to have different visa types depending on that activity: holiday / leisure, diplomatic, business / work.

A 'work' visa is permission to enter a country and stay there for a period of time to work.

A visa is not a work permit
Yes indeed. There are different types of visa:
Tourist. Allows, erm, tourism, no study, no work.
Student. You got it. No paid work allowed.
Working visa. You can work this out.
It is illegal to work on a student or tourist visa. You haven't been living under a rock, you must have heard the Daily Hate bigots ranting about student visas being abused for paid work and the need to deport anyone so doing.

I guess the chink of light in all of this is that, as I understand it, the 'deal' is more of a framework for regular review and renegotiation every five years.

Perhaps in five years time a less obviously insane administration will see fit to adopt the arrangement offered for musicians.

My guess is the UK has way more artists wanted performing 'over there'

Shot in the foot again.
Thank you guvmunt

advertisement

Back