advertisement

UFO

zarniwoop

hoopy frood
So I was standing in a record shop probably ~1976 with a copy of Force It by UFO in my hands weighing up whether to get it. I hadn't heard any UFO but somehow I'd got the idea what kind of band they were and maybe I'd like them. I remember the album because of the distinctive cover. In the end I decided not to take a chance on it and put it back in the rack - I had limited funds as a teenager.

The death of one of the band recently reminded me I'd never scratched that itch so I picked up Force It and Lights Out on the basis of online reviews and a quick listen. These have been quickly followed by the rest of the Schenker era UFO albums from the 70s, including the live one. I'm enjoying these so much - kicking myself that it took over 40 years to get round to making that purchase.

Yes, I was lucky to both catch then live when I was only 15 and to also hear them playing various BBC sessions - I was hooked. To me they were very much a typical hard rock outfit (albeit with a German guitar wizz).

One of the few bands from my teens I still give house room to. The first 3 Schenker/UFO studio albums are exciting and engaging melodic heavy rock.

The Schenker recordings are excellent along with 'Strangers In The Night ' - one of the best live albums around.

Obsession is my favourite by them; brilliant album. I saw them at Hammy Odeon back in the day with Schenker in the band, superb gig!

I was a big fan as a teenager . All the Schenker stuff is good but I have a soft spot for " The wild , the willing and the innocent " .

Strangers In The Night is one of the great live rock albums, especially in the proper running order! One of those bands whose live recording stands head and shoulders above the studio stuff (IMO like Deep Purple MkII and Thin Lizzy). Schenker is just plain awesome.

Never saw Schenker live with UFO but did see UFO in 82 with Tonka Chapman and MSG several times.

Obsession my favourite too. I also really enjoy the Paul Chapman albums, and they are on their 'Last Orders' tour before 70 year old Phil Mogg retires.

advertisement

Back