Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Ubuntu 18.04 on Pi 3B

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Darth Vader, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Darth Vader

Darth Vader From the Dark Side

All this discussion about the new Pi4 caused me to grab an old 3B and stuff Ubuntu on it.

However I've got a weird one. The WiFi sees 18 nearby networks but not mine sitting almost next to it on the desk! I once today got the Pi to see my network and log on and connect headless over WiFi until I rebooted. I can still work headless but have to use an Ethernet cable as once again it only sees the 18 neighbours networks SSIDs.

Anyone got a clue?

Its not the hardware as it does see my WiFi SSID with Rasperian and Volumio.

Cheers,

DV

2. graystoke4

graystoke4 pfm Member

this happend to me after taking my laptop to my girlfriends for the weekend, after logging into her modem etc new password and stuff, got back home fired up my laptop worked great, bought a new printer a few days later tried hooking up wifi connection would not connect, looked up my signal not there but about 20 others were, i must of been pigging backing of someone all week, phoned up virgin they had a look admitted it was not coming down my line then sorted it 2 mins later it was back, answer is call up your network, and let them sort it out,

me giving out technical advise, the mind boggles

3. Darth Vader

Darth Vader From the Dark Side

locale locale locale..........

I noticed that of the 20+ WiFi networks the channels ranged from 1 to 11. Alarm bells went off in a cobweb part of my brain so I checked what channel I was using - it was 13. Set it to channel 5 and the SSID came top of the list as I would have expected. I'll check tomorrow but I bet the locale is set to US as they stop at channel 11 unlike the ROW.

You may ask why I set my network on channel 13. With regularly 20 to 30 WiFi networks I often have to move around to find the channel with the least interference on the 2.4GHz band and as some of this is from none WiFi kit I check with my hand held spectrum analyser as this lets me see both the WiFi channels and other stuff swamping the band.

Cheers,

DV

4. Guest432

Guest432 Guest

Nope