advertisement

Tyre gauge...

Surely all gauges are calibrated to a "standard"?

If you think a guage is wrong (why?) using a second guage is not going to prove anything - unless it agrees with the first.

Surely all gauges are calibrated to a "standard"?
Not really. They are *manufactured* to a standard, which is not the same thing. Any gauge can be wrong, the majority are not, so trying one against another isn't a bad idea at all. If 2 disagree, a third puts it beyond doubt, for routine usage at least.
I have 2 of the simple ones, they are cheap enough to have one in the glovebox and one in the garage.

My rear tyres can vary by about +/- 3 PSI at cold and after adding some friction from driving. Front only about 1 PSI. So careful when you measure. Driving to the garage can impact the reading.

https://www.manomano.co.uk/compress...w7Gra_ybEiNF-hG__gsLNep9IeAe7-ihoCEFwQAvD_BwE

https://www.manomano.co.uk/p/4-piece-set-air-tool-and-accesory-kit-for-compressor-811115

I use a digital gauge on a compressor, which agrees with my old steel Dr Who sonic screwdriver style steel throw gauge - which I'd expect to be influenced a bit by ambient temperature - and the very local BP garage. The one 12V digital inflation device I used to have was out by a few PSI and way out when it was cold (c 0 Celsius).

The compressor is serious overkill. But is also handy for the bike.

Not really. They are *manufactured* to a standard, which is not the same thing. Any gauge can be wrong, the majority are not, so trying one against another isn't a bad idea at all. If 2 disagree, a third puts it beyond doubt, for routine usage at least.
I have 2 of the simple ones, they are cheap enough to have one in the glovebox and one in the garage.

Surely the manufacturing standard has some reference to a degree of accuracy? "Our pressure gauges are manufactured to the same standard. They must not in any way be relied on to measure pressure" is hardly an attractive sales pitch.

As for the rest, I said that 2 disagreeing gauges tell you nothing.

I use the tyre inflator at the local Sainsbury’s and it’s gauge reading is the same as on old metal sliding tube type I’ve had for years. The tyre place I use ask me what pressures I want, I check them later & they’ve always over inflated them by a fair bit. You’d expect them to have really accurate gauges!

Were you measuring hot or cold? Tires pick up circa 4psi when you drive on them, but the recommended pressure measurements are stated cold.

For a bike a track pump is the way to go.

For mountain bikes with low pressure tyres you will be quicker with a larger bore pump. For a road bike with pressure above 60psi a narrow bore pump is the way to go. If you have a large bore pump you will struggle to get to the kind of pressure narrow road tyres need (90psi+).

advertisement

Back