advertisement

Two Sonneteer Campions: Bi amping options

cartman

Taking a sabbatical
Having failed to resurrect an old thread I thought I'd try a new one.

Now that I own two Campions of the same vintage, I'd be interested in bi amping. Remo from Sonneteer reported trying this using only one channel from one amp for the bass and one from the other anmp for the treble. Is there a long term problem leaving one channel unused on each amp?

If I want to fully bi-amp (use both channels on both amps, is vertical bi amping safe or does it stress an amp driving two different loads? Would horizontal bi amping be better sonically or even more reliable? I plan to make up a 2 phono to 4 phono lead to make this possible. I only have one source: CD.

I have bi wirable speakers so I'd like to use all 4 channels if I can. However I want the best sound and also to protect my amps and speakers so I would like some advice if anyone has experience or tech knowledge to help.

There is no benefit to be had from bi-amping, if your amp cannot drive the load then get one that can.

Multiple amps in an active setup does have advantages though, years ago when I switched my Keilidhs from passive to active the improvement was clear.

You have the gear already, make up the leads and give it a shot. Try both biamp modes and see if it is worthwhile to you, can't hurt/damage anything there. It is your own ears that you have to please!

I think the original idea was just using one channel from each amp for each speaker wasn't it, so basically treating the amps like monoblocks, rather than bass from one, treble from other, which is just biamping, unless you have 4 of them.

I think the original idea was just using one channel from each amp for each speaker wasn't it, so basically treating the amps like monoblocks, rather than bass from one, treble from other, which is just biamping, unless you have 4 of them.

That's correct, James. I was just uncertain if that was safe to do in the long term. There was also mention of another user trying two Campions but he can't remember the configuration.

I was also unsure about using an amp each side (vertical bi amping) in case the amp had a problem with driving a different load on each output. If it's safe to try all three I'm more than happy to experiment. I have had improved results from bi amping in the past so I wanted to try.

advertisement

Back