advertisement

Two Box 260 - Progress report

here ya go

the other side of the bit on the side

gyratorback.jpg

The bit of tape is to stop the Silmic on the other board fron shorting out on this one. Oh yes, Sorry I hav'nt cleaned the resin off the new soldered joints.

Graham

I hav'nt forgot your request Mus (emails)

Thanks, Graham.

Hopefully, Yahoo will let me see it soon.

"I hav'nt forgot your request Mus (emails)"

No problem I guessed you were probably busy.

Regards,

Mus

That is very helpful, cheers Graham.

What're you using for the power rail cap?

BTW where are you linking the pics, they're up and down like a whores draws!

Mus, I was being serious about the "Dead" I recently D/L one of their live concerts (Oct '90, from Wembley) and you're welcome to a copy, if it's your thing, that is. That offer goes to everyone who's helped me over the last couple of weeks.

Originally posted by Basil
What're you using for the power rail cap?

BTW where are you linking the pics, they're up and down like a whores draws!

Stargets 100uf 35v across the power rail, not sure about them yet......

Yahoo geocities,, not very good IMO

Graham

The coupling capacitors have roughly half the supply voltage across them. So 16 should be fine but 25 would be finer, especially should you get into running the amp at higher voltages.

You mean adjusting the Hicap to 30v, I am tempted, but my 72 is 15 years old and very dear to me, so I think I'll pass on this one.

That looks really neat, any chance you could post a picture of the other side, so we can see the connections?

Translation: That looks really neat, any chance you could post a picture of the other side, so we can criticise your soldering!

Just my little joke.

Hi, Basil

Why I can't see all your pictures. I can see other pictures from Mr Tibbs and others but not yours.

TQ.

Man

Hi, Basil

Why I can't see all your pictures. I can see other pictures from Mr Tibbs and others but not yours.

TQ.

Man

I have no idea, no one else has ever mentioned any problems seeing pictures I've posted.

Pic1

Pic2

Do these work for you?

For greater performance you might want to consider putting 4 SR's in the hicap and feed the tape buffers with a separate small supply. Just an idea.

Originally posted by Basil
I can use the 24v ps from my old 90 for that, thanks Mr Tibbs.

A few days ago I dug out the old 90 pcb, and to my horror, the 317 reg was missing! Just three tiny stumps left on the board.

Incredibly, I actually found the remains of the regulator on the floor, (I know, I couldn't believe it either) and in a feat of soldering legerdemain, re-attached it...

Stone me! It works perfectly. A nice steady 24.9v, a little higher than before but that's down to the fact it's no longer powering the LED.

Takes a lickin' an' keeps on tickin'! Pity the rest of the 90 wasn't as rugged!

Basil, a question: your famous two box 260z became a three box 260z, with the Cap6-NCC200 pairs getting a box each, right? If so, what were the benefit over the two box version?

With thanks,

Jon

Jon,

Splitting the amp into two boxes (an NCC200 and Cap6 in each) allowed the use of the proper A260z transformer.

With both pairs of NCC200's and Cap6's in one box, Les thought it safer to limit the transformer to 350VA instead of the standard 260 transformer, which is 630VA, because of the limited cooling of the half width Naim boxes.

It's difficult to pin down changes as I split the amp at the same time as I fitted the new transformer but my immediate impression was of a tighter, better focused central image, especially with solo vocals and instruments and a greater sense of "ease" at higher volumes.

advertisement

Back