advertisement

Tweeter rebuild

zener

fluff
Have a Focal Labs Ti tweeter thats gone open circuit , its not fried as it was working before it was transported from Spain....does anyone know of a company that could do a rewind on it , Focal Labs are an obvious one , but that means sending it back to France ...its an obsolete tweeter from some old Avondale REV1 speakers ....

Zener ,
I should also add, while you are waiting to get the speaker fixed,take the opportunity to
remove your PMCs from the room and set up just that one working RMS REV1 speaker,
set your pre amp to mono and just go about your normal listening.

Zener, on the TD120 Focals the dome, VC, terminals and surround are all part of the front plate. Remove the four tiny socket cap screws and the magnet separates - then if its just the lead-out fractured, solder it up yourself. Otherwise Focal used to supply 'service kits' - which is the enitre assembly to screw onto the magnet you have.

done the check , theres continuity from the connector to the wire that goes across the gap to the coil , but nothing across the voice coil and it isnt burnt out. If Focal do a service kit thats great , I'll e-mail them ...

I bet its the 'tinsel' in between that's broken, which can be just soldered - if you are careful. Here's a pic of my servicekit spare (for the TD5s in my H2s): it just fits in between the front plate and magnet. Front:

td5front.jpg

Rear - notice the tinsel lead-outs:

td5rear.jpg

HTH

Martin , I've check the lead , its fine , the problem I think , is the wire that is stuck to the voice coil , theres a a pad that appears to connect to the fine voice coil wires as it loops around to make the winding for the motor , it looks detached .. by the way , its beyond my skill to repair , thanks for the help ..Jon

Greg cant help with this unit......any longer.

Awaiting conformation of possible delivery from the USA (speakercity) but its not looking good. Though they advertise them I dont think they have any????

Ordered 10 days ago but no money has left my account to pay for them...and no USPS shipping No.

I am now looking for a suitable replacement...with 93dB any ideas anyone..

Cheers

Graham

Martin, do you still have the pics available on what I need to look at to fix the tweeter as they don't appear to be on acoustica anymore?

Cheers

Stuart

I do, I'll dig them out at home later (and reply to your email!)

EDIT: links should appear fixed above if you re-load this page.

Does anyone know of anyone in the UK that can repair Focal T120K tweeters?

There is one in France and one in Germany which will will be my next port of call if no joy in the UK.

Or anyone have a pair of T120K's "gathering" dust they need to move on..

advertisement

Back