advertisement

Tweeter question

It’s supposed to impair any stationary wave.
Nevertheless, the higher the frequency, the more linear it is so I’m not sure it makes a huge difference.
I heard some ribbon tweeters that are perfectly flat and installed on a flat baffle and they sound wonderful.

340m/s divided by 20,000Hz = 1.7cm wavelength. Those who are actually interested in these things will be able to find much information online and elsewhere. Appearances can be deceptive.

I've seen plenty of DIY waveguide threads over the years and where the throat of the guide terminates against the edge of the tweeter is where you often get problems in the highest octave (Usually 1" tweeters).

It would be interesting to see measurements on and off axis but I'm not convinced that, that's enough to tell the whole story with regards to how diffraction messes with the sound.

Well it's a B&W tweeter from a pair of P4 speakers. The service manual describes the part that covers the tweeter and has holes in it as a "phase ring" . Still i wonder what the effect is. The sun ridges around the outside of the dome are very handy for getting grip in order to screw the unit in and out of the baffle. So they are handy for that but not sure what else. They must have some effect.

The Nautilus 801 uses a similar "phase ring" on it's tweeter and many users blamed it for the speakers lack of "openness". But then what is openness ?

I'm not equipped to do measurements so any conclusions i come to are purely speculative. I suppose i could chop the phase ring off (it is attached by three thin legs), have a listen and then glue it back on but there will be damage and modification.

advertisement

Back