advertisement

Tweek v. "Upgrade"

Vinny

pfm Member
Tweek is reasonably easily understood. Less so upgrade, perhaps. Do they overlap significantly in real life?

I am very firmly in the "quit faffing and move on" camp.

Discuss.

Think you’ll find it’s a ‘tweak’.

A ‘tweek’ is a Monday to Friday nerd (or a character in South Park).

To my mind ‘upgrade’ means you’ve spent good money on something, e.g. bought a new cart, DAC etc, ‘tweak’ means you’ve learned something, e.g. bolt tightness, alignment, azimuth, dialling in VTF and anti-skate or whatever makes a difference.

An upgrade is something that makes a difference.

A tweak is something that makes no difference but you convince yourself it does in order to justify the time/hassle/cost involved.

Oh dear. Like minds. LLLLOL

More than that. I'd say that an upgrade is a change OF something, rather than TO something. It could aso be a downgrade if the choice of change was "unsuccessful".

Oh dear. Like minds. LLLLOL

More than that. I'd say that an upgrade is a change OF something, rather than TO something. It could aso be a downgrade if the choice of change was "unsuccessful".
In standard English, a tweak is a small adjustment of something, usually intended to improve some aspect. Think cartridge alignment and such. In audiophile parlance, however, a tweak is (also) a minor alteration of no value whatsoever, such as painting CD edges green or putting "quantum" stickers on things.

An upgrade, in contrast, always involves the replacement of some part with another performing the same function, hopefully to a higher standard.

All upgrades are side-grades until such time as one such change causes one to have an epiphany (or an acid flashback, whichever comes first).

Logically, power cables and fuses are excluded from being ugrades, as these fall under tweaks for tweeks.

tweek
(transitive) To tease, to annoy; to get under the skin of (someone, typically so as to irritate them, or by extension to enamor, frighten, etc).
(intransitive, US, slang) To abuse methamphetamines, especially crystal meth.​

Tweek is reasonably easily understood. Less so upgrade, perhaps. Do they overlap significantly in real life?

I am very firmly in the "quit faffing and move on" camp.

Discuss.

Tweak - adding aftermaket or DIY gizmo that does little or nothing to measured performance but may produced imaginary audible improvements

Upgrade - identifying audible issues in a piece of equipment and replacing it with another which deals, partly or fully, with those issues

Sidegrade - replacing a piece of equipment with something that sounds different but not necessarily better or worse in all aspects of performance

Modification - optimising the circuit, PSU, grounding, electronic components, etc. to improve measured and audible performance

IMO Every system needs to be properly setup -AKA Tweaked- to reach it's full potential and this could take months, never more than one tweak at a time and evaluate, this way you don't go down the rabbit hole and you can easily revert back. In fact many people never heard their systems full potential before claiming it's faults. And many more don't follow the "Source First" philosophy..

advertisement

Back