advertisement

TV show - record deck ID?

ADC Accutrac...I had a chance of one of those cheap many years ago, it was next to a Hydraulic Reference so my choice was obvious. Both were £25 !!!!

Thanks Martyn, but I just can't bring myself to watch Columbo again in this lifetime.

It was bad enough in the '70s, waiting for his forced episodic brain farts to cease long enough for him to declare that the suspect that he had been courting all episode long was, in fact, the murderer.

Not to mention that Columbo invented the 'he/she whom has the second most number of lines is the murderer' that continues on to this day; the exceptions being when there are two cop partners and/or one or more decoy suspects enlisted in order to throw us off.

Oops! I love Columbo! A whodunnit where we see who the murderer is in the opening sequence is genius :)

ADC Accutrac...I had a chance of one of those cheap many years ago, it was next to a Hydraulic Reference so my choice was obvious. Both were £25 !!!!

As you say, a no-brainer! Couldn't you have had both, though? The Hydraulic Reference does look nice and would have been nice to own, too.

;)

Getting back to Professor T. (Belgian version), there has been some weird shit happening with Jasper's office record deck. Halfway into series 1 the good Prof's RP3 suddenly has a white plinth to match the hospital room that he has a short stay in. Last nights episode had him cueing up a record back in his office at the university, and the deck had been restored to having a grey plinth again. Philips amp and unknown speakers were the same as those that had been dragged over to the hospital by long suffering Secretary of the Faculty, Ingrid.

Rega-Planar-14.jpg

Last edited:
Can I get the Belgian version or Prof T in the UK?
I don't know if they still have it available on Channel 4/All 4 (streaming channel) as part of their 'Walter Presents' foreign shows lineup.

It is still available on PBS Masterpiece on Prime Video; a bit of a ripoff though, as one must subscribe to Amazon's Prime in order to then subscribe to PBS Masterpiece on Prime ($7.99/mo + $6.99/mo). They do offer a 30-day trial period, although, at 39 episodes in total, one would have to keep to no less than a steady 1.3 episodes per day in order to prevent Jeff Bezos from sucking the lining out of one's wallet!

The Belgian professor's momma has a GL75 in the prop-rod plinth with side cheeks (although the plinth appears to have been painted black).

Speaking of props, I'm beginning to understand why the UK Professor T. prop team went Lenco across the board.

d82c4efb-6464-4314-8012-18947e029a8b.jpg

Last edited:
SPOILER ALERT!

Oh dear, the end of series 1 cliffhanger has the office Elys 2 flying across a record with enough force for the RB303 to bounce back!

Will the lovely nude elliptical remain intact? And what of the cantilever, will it have been bent beyond redemption?

Will the good Professor Teerlinck need consult his Belgian Rega dealer, and do they even offer part exchange against new in Belgium?

Stay tuned next season!

Dunno, but it was the same with the UK version of Wallander. A whole bunch of UK actors traipsing round Sweden, pretending to be Swedes.
The UK version of Wallander was set in Sweden, so filming it there made sense to me. But the UK version of Prof T is set in Cambridge, which makes the Belgian scenes incongruous.

The UK version of Wallander was set in Sweden, so filming it there made sense to me. But the UK version of Prof T is set in Cambridge, which makes the Belgian scenes incongruous.

Just don't, for a moment, think that's how a Swedish Police station looks like :);)

As a Swede I actually think the British Wallander is the best!

Was there any HiFi in it, btw? Then it should be brands like Luxor, Dux, Skantic and Sonab.

Just don't, for a moment, think that's how a Swedish Police station looks like :);)

Was there any HiFi in it, btw? Then it should be brands like Luxor, Dux, Skantic and Sonab.
So the cop shops aren't all full of old jumble sale teak tat then?

I have to disagree with British Wallander being the best. Certainly, the cinematography was first rate, but Branagh's Wallander was the absolute worst cop ever, a complete fecking idiot.

I can't recall any Hi-Fi in Wallander UK, however, I do remember Wallander SE enjoying a lovely Thorens at home.

Watched Professor T (Belgium) series 2, episode 7 entitled 'Jitske' last night and the victim's sister and brother-in-law had Rega RP10 (sans plinth surround) with Apheta on, this alongside a stack of Rega Ref electronics (Osiris, Aura MC and Isis, one atop the other). Didn't recognized the loudspeakers but it would seem that the prop crew must have had some sort of deal going with a local Rega dealer. One couldn't miss the Apheta as the scene starts out with a closeup of the cartridge whilst it tracked a record, practically filled the whole TV screen, and prompting the GF to ask 'What is that?'.

Last edited:
Keen Thorens fans can amuse themselves by identifying the model owned by Jesse Stone in the U,S,A, detective series of the same name. The lead character listens to a Brahms recording in the episode entitled 'Sea Change'.

Keen Thorens fans can amuse themselves by identifying the model owned by Jesse Stone in the U,S,A, detective series of the same name. The lead character listens to a Brahms recording in the episode entitled 'Sea Change'.
TD 145, which is just as well really, as anyone who downs a whole bottle of Johnny Walker Red Label of an evening should indeed have a deck with auto-lift/shut-off at end of side.

Been catching up with the new series 2 of Professor T. UK version and the record deck trend continues. So far, in episode 2 "The Mask Murders" the LP playing extends to the murder victims, as there is the addition of a modern Lenco looking thing at the murder scene with a straight tonearm with vintage Lenco homage styled headshell on (yes, that is TV blood splatter on Mozart's "The Magic Flute" jacket).

Professor-T-Lenco.jpg

advertisement

Back