advertisement

TV/FM Aerial Home Help

deltaunit

pfm Member
I'd like to use the TV aerial wall connector in my living room for my tuner and fit a FM aerial in my loft. I don't need a TV aerial in this room so can disconnect the TV aerial in the loft and would like to connect up an FM aerial in it's place. Could this work? Would the existing wiring from the loft into the walls be useable or a problem?

The connector in my wall is I think routed to the end of this cable:

m6f6Rl.jpg

Can anyone identify this connector? If I can find a female version I'm hoping I could just plug an FM aerial to it and then get an FM signal at the wall.

Finally I also need to be sure I am disconnecting the correct wire and as I have no TV I cannot really test this. Can I do so using a multimeter?

The connector is called an F connector, and it's what europe and satellite technology uses instead of our friendly UK aerial plug [belling lee] that you can rewire with the kitchen scissors. Adapters should work OK.

You cannot detect a signal with a multimeter because it's much too high freq and too small. An existing TV aerial should pick up FM well, although I don't really know the exact differences with one designed for the job. With all aerials designed for land based signals - height is the number 1 requirement.

If the TV signal travels through some sort of booster, some do not go low enough freq for FM radio.

Thanks for the comments. It's looks like my plan should work - or will at least be worth trying. I've ordered the bits and should cost less than a fiver, hopefully it'll be a good vfm upgrade. Cheers.

advertisement

Back