Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[WTD] Turntable

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by Iceman16, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Iceman16

Iceman16 pfm Member

Hi all, Im looking to upgrade my tt (Project rpm5 carbon). Budget bet. £3-4k.
    Im not after a Linn, Rega or Michell. Please pm me if you have one.
    Thanks

2. manicatel

manicatel pfm Member

Pm sent.

3. gerlando

gerlando Prog Rocker

4. AudioAl

AudioAl pfm Member

Technics 1200G is a beast :cool:

Nagraboy likes this.
  5. Iceman16

Iceman16 pfm Member

Looking for a belt drive preferably with thick platter like the Project Signature 10 or the like. Without cart. is fine.

6. AudioAl

AudioAl pfm Member

OK so you dont want reliability then , good luck with the rubber band TT ;)

7. MANDY

MANDY pfm Member

I have to Agee spending that much you want something of quality and something that will retain its value Project is not the way to go.
    not to mention the sound quality isn't there compared to all the makes you discarded. I think
    Project is simply the worst make turntable you can buy or own

8. MANDY

MANDY pfm Member

On a positive note try an Avid or a used SME if linn. / michell are out of the running

9. Iceman16

Iceman16 pfm Member

Have you heard the Project Sig. 10?

Accuphaseman likes this.
  10. Iceman16

Iceman16 pfm Member

I like rubber band:)

11. Iceman16

Iceman16 pfm Member

12. AudioAl

AudioAl pfm Member

I do own one rubber band TT and I can tell when its in trouble , sound starts sounding dodgy , Have a close look at the rubber band and it gone crusty and cracked and is slipping , so another one to buy Doh !

13. slawekt

slawekt pfm Member

Nintronics has SME model 10 with 309 tonearm for £4250 , wow&flutter around 0.07% , buy good protractor -Feickert or SmarTractor instead paper one supplied and you're done

gerlando and Iceman16 like this.
  14. MANDY

MANDY pfm Member

Sme are a very good turntable i've never owned a VPI i've always wanted to have use of one but never had the opportunity , I have owned an Sme 20 which was decent sound maybe a little sterile but very clear etc I just couldn't live with the look of it but the model 10 is a much nicer looking beast although the arm isn't as good. I wouldn't write of a michell they are a good buy used and will take an sme V tonearm which is up there with the best . you could always look at Brinkman again never owned one but always thought they were decent , to answer the other question I maybe am being harsh on project I know with a better tonearm they can sound ok if set up right , but my main objective when box swapping is how much will I lose and will I be stuck for long if I want to move it on and honestly project just won't hold value or be easy to sell at that price . the project tonearms are awful in every respect .

15. Iceman16

Iceman16 pfm Member

I used to own a Michell gyro se + technoarm few yrs ago. I have been told that the Project top signature series are in a diff.league compared to their budget siblings. Like this one
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. alcarmichael

alcarmichael pfm Member

With your requirements I would definitely be looking for a NA Dais. Or that beautiful Well Tempered deck Mauro linked.

17. Iceman16

Iceman16 pfm Member

Not keen on that WT deck. It looks very basic imo.

18. alcarmichael

alcarmichael pfm Member

Beauty is the eye of the beholder. I love it’s simplicity.

DavidS and Iceman16 like this.
  19. BruceFlea

BruceFlea pfm Member

Have you seen the Inspire Hifi 401, SME V, Koetsu black cartridge, Russ Collinson plinth, looks nice and I’d bet there could be a deal done to bring it into your budget, he’ll take your Project as well. Looks like a nice sorted deck.
    Doesn’t possibly have the looks of the Project signature but I’ll bet it sounds superb!

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=293410858128

Also a fabulous piece of kit the Acoustand Evolution, again slightly out of budget but available in your choice of colour!

https://www.acoustand.co.uk/collections/all/products/acoustand-evolution-turntable

20. Eatapeach

Eatapeach Active Member

I think if it was me looking at that kind of money I'd start with an SME V and work backwards from there.....ymmv