advertisement

Turntable woes

I think it might be time to take the turntable and phono stage down to your friendly local dealers and confess your sins :) The dealer might sort you out in 5 minutes flat and, if they've got any idea about how to keep a customer, not charge you anything.

I think it might be time to take the turntable and phono stage down to your friendly local dealers and confess your sins :) The dealer might sort you out in 5 minutes flat and, if they've got any idea about how to keep a customer, not charge you anything.

Will wait and see if swapping the cartridge fixes it. @torstoi has me confident with his experience that it will. If it does, still going to be rather ragin' that I've bought a duff cartridge. Either way I'm not going to get any refund or replacement, but will wait and bottom it out first. The place I ordered the cartridge from have a delay in getting them out, so probably be the weekend if I'm lucky by the time it arrives.

You’re suggesting someone takes in a product to a shop that they didn’t sell, & maybe fix it for free in the hope that next time the guy won’t buy 2nd hand but go to them instead.
That’s not business, that’s charity.
I would at least expect a reasonable charge for the labour & any required parts.

You’re suggesting someone takes in a product to a shop that they didn’t sell, & maybe fix it for free in the hope that next time the guy won’t buy 2nd hand but go to them instead.
That’s not business, that’s charity.
I would at least expect a reasonable charge for the labour & any required parts.

Haha yeah don't think anyone's going to be that kind to me :)

Is it possible to get access to the arm leads where they meet the cartridge pins? If so maybe just a gentle squeeze of the crimped connectors with some tweezers will reeastablish a firm contact.

Yeah from giving the connectors at the pins a squeeze with tweezers, it causes the left channel to drop in and out. Also if move the the white wire slightly it causes the left channel to drop in and out. So I'll assume that's a second issue to go with the dodgy cartridge. :mad:

Obviously depends very much on the dealer but I have come across 2 dealers in my odyssey who would do that. One was the late Bob Griffin of Griffin Audio in Birmingham. The other is Andrew of Audio Images in Sheffield.

Most dealers are salesmen first and enthusiasts second. They don't really give a toss about what they're selling, it could be washing machines.

Bob and Andrew took a longer term view of how to hook someone, that investing a bit of time, interest and kindness today will yield money later in loyalty. And it worked :)

Such dealers are rare but they do exist. Be careful though, they will get far more money out of you long term than an ordinary dealer.

Last edited:
Obviously depends very much on the dealer but I have come across 2 dealers in my odyssey who would do that. One was the late Bob Griffin of Griffin Audio in Birmingham. The other is Andrew of Sound Advice in Sheffield.

Most dealers are salesmen first and enthusiasts second. They don't really give a toss about what they're selling, it could be washing machines.

Bob and Andrew took a longer term view of how to hook someone, that investing a bit of time, interest and kindness today will yield money later in loyalty. And it worked :)

Such dealers are rare but they do exist. Be careful though, they will get far more money out of you long term than an ordinary dealer.
Is ‘Sound Advice’ still trading?

I'd be dangerous if I had a brain. Where 'Sound Advice' came from I do not know.

What I meant to say was Andrew at Audio Images :oops: DOH!

From their website it looks like they very much are still trading, thankfully.

advertisement

Back