Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

turntable wall shelf

Discussion in 'audio' started by mjw, Nov 22, 2010.

1. mjw

mjw pfm Member

Anyone know of a double-deck version?
    My LP12 is currently on a Target wall shelf above the electronics and I'm running out of space but don't want to increase the footprint so I figured that a worthy double-decker could accommodate the CD player or preamp on the lower deck. Wondering if anyone knows of such a shelf that won't let the LP12 down.
    Thanks for reading
    Mick

2. positive_energy

positive_energy pfm Member

3. Jack Barriere

Jack Barriere Me, you and them

Just buy another Target wall shelf. Why disrupt you TT if all is well.

4. Jack Barriere

I once bolted a Sound Org 3 tier with 2 2x4s for rear spacing to the wall and it was amazing. Food for thought dont you think?

5. Dowser

Dowser Learning to bodge again..

Target also do a double decker. Pretty fugly, but works a treat - top shelf adjustable, bottom shelf not. I got both it and a single shelf item from WTD ads on here, and is great for keeping kit off the floor.

Richard

6. Jag Audio

Jag Audio Trade: Jag Audio

I have 2 of these double decker type wall shelves model VW2 and they made a significant difference to my LP12. The sound was just better and no wibbly wobbly effect from the floorboards.

I have 2 for sale if anybody wants to buy 1 or even both as I am re arranging my house etc. PM me if you are interested.

7. 1000RPM

1000RPM pfm Member

Indeed - a second TT shelf would look great, plus the TT and CD would be isolated from each other.

8. Jag Audio

I put my LP12 on the top (adjustable) shelf and power supply on the lower one. My second VW2 double wall shelf supported a cd player/dac etc.

Very neat, passed the wife's approval and kept my toys away from the kids reach.

9. mjw

mjw pfm Member

That's why I love this site. Thanks, all - time to go shopping.

10. Dowser

Dowser Learning to bodge again..

Mango - how much are you looking for each of your shelves?

Thanks, Richard

11. Jag Audio

Richard - I would accept £80 each as I paid approximately £185 each for them a year ago. If you wanted both can do them for £75 each.

I think 1 has glass shelves that cost extra and the other one has regular mdf shelves. If I have any extra bits for them you can have them free. I am just trying to tidy up my different systems and goodies I have collected over the last few years.

12. zarniwoop

zarniwoop hoopy frood

13. The way to go.
    Get Steve at Sonority to make you a board for it and throw away the black thing that comes with them.

14. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

I just bought the single version of this - very happy with it

http://www.soundfowndations.co.uk/Review PDFs/IsoTek_Enhancer_RC.pdf

G

15. mjw

mjw pfm Member

Before I go shopping, a supplementary question if I may:
    which is likely to give better results in terms of sound quality for the LP12 (and CDP or preamp, whichever goes on the lower shelf), sitting on a glass shelf or an MDF shelf? They seem to be the choices but it's difficult for me to compare. My current shelf is MDF and sounds fine but thought it was worth asking. Is that within anyone's experience, please.

16. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

I think it's fairly commonly held that glass shelves, whether on tables or wall brackets, give the sound a harder edge; slightly more brittle but possibly cleaner.

Certainly this is true for Naim kit, whether Olive, Black or C/B. I suppose it's horses for courses. My LP12 experience is too long ago to suggest compatibility, as received wisdom has it that each incarnation of this deck seems to have brought the sound closer to CD.

Glass does seem to show the dust more, but that's another matter........

17. Jack Barriere

If your using a trampolinn it doesn't matter. If your using the hard rubber feet MDF is best in my experience with Sir Sondek. Glass screws with the timing. Corian was a toss up. The Rega wall shelf dispenses with the shelf all together in its design with the Rega 3 feet arrangement. Can it be used also to great effect with all table with the addition of cones in the dishes. The most rigid production design I have come across. $200

http://www.vinylengine.com/images/forum/rega_shelf.jpg

18. mjw

mjw pfm Member

Jack
    thanks, there is a trampolin fitted so I might look at something with glass.

19. Rodrat

Rodrat pfm Member

You can always put a piece of perspex on top and that will take out the zing of glass.

20. Jack Barriere