Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Turntable mat

Discussion in 'audio' started by ducatiman, Mar 17, 2019.

1. ducatiman

ducatiman pfm Member

Looking at various mats to finish off my Garrard 301 project.
    I have the original which has washed up very well, good as new in fact but I’m wondering if any of the newer aftermarket options offer a worthwhile improvement,read good things about The Puresound Tenuto or Acromat to name just a couple.
    Any first hand advice gratefully received

2. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I use a felt mat. I'm not sure if there is a sonic improvement.

3. Chas B

Chas B pfm Member

I tried rubber, cork, acrylic, leather and felt. Somehow ended up at acrylic with leather on top ( non-strobe platter). The acrylic stops the platter from ringing, the leather (suede side up) provides a nice 'bed' for the vinyl to sit on. Works for me...

Just noticed your user name. I have a bevel engine sitting on my kitchen table in front of me as I type this. :)

ducatiman and Rob998 like this.
  4. Joe

Joe pfm Member

A man after my own heart... I presume you live alone though ? :p

5. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

My acrylic mat serves as a dust cover for the platter of my SME20 and my funk firm Achromat serves to keep the dust off the platter of my Clearaudio RCM :) Much more convenient than felt or leather... they can be removed and replaced with just one hand :)

More seriously the felt mat and its propensity to adhere to the record as I lifted it off the platter was one of the many motivations to get rid of the LP12...

6. Nytechy

Nytechy pfm Member

I got rid of the mat...

7. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

In 35 years of Linn ownership I have had mat lift happen no more than a handful of times.

8. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Sorry to jump in but do any of these ringmat type things ever make a difference?

9. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

Nothing big like cables... my Ringmat is in a cupboard somewhere along with some cork composite two part mat and the other more rigid ones make convenient dust covers

10. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

I probably live in a drier climate (SE France) more likely to create tons of static.

11. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Happens to me a few times, can't say it overly bothers me

12. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Every felt mat I've had has come off with pretty much every LP, if I had one again I'd probably use some thin double sided tape to keep it in place.

13. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Certainly drier than here in NW England!
    Currently flooded round here.

14. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I always used the stock Garrard mat, though I refuse on OCD record-collecting principles never to use a ‘hard’ mat due to risk of scuffs from any hard particles that may inadvertently get between the mat and platter. Even more so with clamps, just no way would I risk a valuable record with one of those!

PS Thinking about it I may well still have a Lorricraft cork mat knocking around somewhere. I should sell that if I’ve still got it as I’ll never use it!

Big Tabs likes this.
  15. ducatiman

ducatiman pfm Member

Lol been working on my Pantah today !

16. Guest432

Guest432 Guest

PureSound Tenuto mat, no competition.

[​IMG]

17. DimitryZ

DimitryZ pfm Member

Above looks great!

I use Funk Acromat on my P9 after many experiments.

18. krenzler

krenzler pfm Member

I like the Achromat on top of the original thick rubber mat on my SP-10MkII.

19. lazycat

lazycat pfm Member

I use a SDS Isoplat on my Techy. Definite upgrade from an Achromat. IMO.

Iceman16 likes this.
  20. ian r

ian r 401's Nakman

i dont mind the lp12 felt mat lift off thing, i just use it to keep my fingers off the disc en route to sleeve. my linn was above head level so my angle of lift was awkward, the mat helped.
    I would like to locate the metal plate on my 401 mat as its missing. Im such a tight arse i object to paying much for a flattened milk bottle top ...the 301 has a much cooler mat.

I suppose a Cork mat would fool those who inherit my kit into thinking it was modern.

Cork on garrards. To my eyes its a pleasing aesthetic