advertisement

Turntable interconnect

One with the correct capacitance, if your phono stage doesn't have an adjustable capacitance loading facility.

Just to clarify Jarek, do you want the tonearm style connection on the source end or does your deck have phono sockets on the rear of the unit?

Have a look at the cables from Yannis. Can be had with all kinds of plug types (and qualities). Yannis is very forthcoming and helpful regarding all questions you might have (shielding, RFI, capacitance, materials etc.).

Especially the Silvercord (and Coppercord) OCC cables (Ohno Continous Cast) are very low capacitance at 35pF per meter.

https://www.shop.back-promo.co.uk

Are you looking for an interconnect to go between the tonearm and phono stage or between the phono stage and amp/pre amp?

Hi,

I use MM Goldring 1042.
Regarding price range £100 - £200.

Beobloke:
You are right with just ">" I can end up with the cable made of metal ore from Krypton, which could be quite expensive but definitely giving ultimate hifi experience ;)

According to the manufacturer your cartridge needs 150-200pF of capacitance loading for best results.

Your tonearm wire will probably be something like 20pF so you're ideally looking for 130-180pF worth of capacitance from your interconnect.

If your chosen interconnect doesn't have enough capacitance you can make up the exta with loading plugs or add the desired value inside your phono stage if you're handy with a soldering iron.

Don't forget to include the input capacitance of the phono stage - that has to be added too;)
The cable on it's own will be at least 50pf,I keep mine as short as possible,just 90cm,I don't like to have too much cable flapping around potentially picking up magnetic fields and adding unnecessary capacitance.

Don't forget to include the input capacitance of the phono stage - that has to be added too;)
The cable on it's own will be at least 50pf,I keep mine as short as possible,just 90cm,I don't like to have too much cable flapping around potentially picking up magnetic fields and adding unnecessary capacitance.

It's important to have the CORRECT capacitance, if you want the cartridge frequency response to be what the manufacturer intended.

My cartridge needs 400pF which requires me to add around 200pF of additional capacitance (in my case via loading plugs).

If you use properly shielded cable you really don't need to worry about picking up interference.

I've got an AT530EN that needs a max of 200pf and an Empire 440D that needs a max of 150pf so I have to keep capacitance under control,fortunately the Hafler 110 pre has a fairly easy facility for loading the phono.

advertisement

Back