advertisement

turntable bearing grease

Thrust-type bearings (VPI, Rega, Etc.) work best with heavy gear oil - 80W90 weight Mobil 1 is an excellent choice. Probably not the audiophile approved type...

I use the light but fragrant oil, refined from the gentle perspiration on the skin of the dusky maidens who come to my room every...

..Sorry.. wrong site... :oops:

The 301, 401 and possibly other early decks used grease, but my LP12, Roksan, Orbe and even my current heavy Dais use thickish oil. Always worth cleaning out the housing before adding new, i.m.o.

Here's a link to a reference article I wrote on the subject some years ago. May be useful to some PFM members.

https://www.audio-forums.com/articles/oil-for-bronze-turntable-bearings.16/

Interesting. The recommendation of most TD-124 and Garrard rebuilders is for a lightweight clear oil that I think is some kind of sewing machine or electric fan oil from reading forums etc. I have a little bottle of the crazy expensive Schopper oil (one of the high-end TD-124 boutique rebuilders) and I’d like to identify it properly so I can buy a decent amount for a sensible price! Any ideas?

PS I used to use one of the ‘safer’ automotive oils but switched once I moved to the vintage idlers as the recommendations are consistently for this lighter-weight almost clear oil.

Interesting. The recommendation of most TD-124 and Garrard rebuilders is for a lightweight clear oil that I think is some kind of sewing machine or electric fan oil from reading forums etc. I have a little bottle of the crazy expensive Schopper oil (one of the high-end TD-124 boutique rebuilders) and I’d like to identify it properly so I can buy a decent amount for a sensible price! Any ideas?

PS I used to use one of the ‘safer’ automotive oils but switched once I moved to the vintage idlers as the recommendations are consistently for this lighter-weight almost clear oil.

Hi Tony,

After spending many many hours researching the subject this is the oil I use in my TD125 and what I'd use in a TD124 if I had one myself.

20180427_130253 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

It's a fully synthetic base stock oil of ISO 46 viscosity designed for air compressor use and contains no additives which may harm sintered bronze bearings. I don't think you can do any better.

I will send you a PM with a contact details of the supplier.

advertisement

Back