advertisement

Turner Prize 2019

Sorry you are grasping at anti BBC straws here, the content was on the front page of BBC news and the detail of the speech was fairly detailed in the text and there was a video in the piece of the acceptance speech.

I am no fan of TV news of any sort, not for any potential bias reasons, but folks seem very keen to get "offended" by the BBC at every opportunity.

It wasn't mentioned on the BBC News, which goes out on television. I'd say that was a deliberate omission.

Jack

It wasn't mentioned on the BBC News, which goes out on television. I'd say that was a deliberate omission.

Jack

I am sure it was but I suspect it was because the main story here is the collective acceptance which is unprecedented rather than some artists have a go at the government which is rather less unusual.

I am sure it was but I suspect it was because the main story here is the collective acceptance which is unprecedented rather than some artists have a go at the government which is rather less unusual.

I guess you've never heard of John Sweeney then?

Just shows how in adversity art always holds the line. Which is why I'm often puzzled by our little coterie of UKipper types. What on earth do they listen to? What to they read and what art do they look at? This is after all a site dedicated to the appreciation of art in the form of music.

Think- Pussy Riot, Bikini Kill, Cave, Pogues, Slits, Pistols, Clash, Marley, Young, Fairport, Springsteen, Beatles, Stones, Cohen, Dylan, Hank, Johnson, Bessie Smith and everything else in my 1500 records. The 'lefty', 'liberal elite' right there.

Why nothing much beyond the late 80'S, I know there has been plenty of good music since then, and some of the best political music is happening now!

Bloss

Last edited:
Just watched the BBC News online. They mentioned the Turner Prize contestants made a pact so there was no winner or loser. None of the acceptance speech was shown and its anti-Brexit/Tory/fascist content wasn't mentioned.

When I was young, this would have blown up into a quite big story. Now it is shrugged at by the press and media, including the BBC and right-wing online trolls.

There are a lot of far-right racists in England, especially the government.

Jack

There are apparently a lot of far left racists too, some of whom may well be in government at the end of next week.

Then of course there are the racists who have taken the cure, and like others who have seen the light, feel the need to regularly signal their virtuousness (or conceal their guilt) by angrily calling everyone else racists. Or at least, those with whom they disagree on other matters.

There are apparently a lot of far left racists too, some of whom may well be in government at the end of next week.

Then of course there are the racists who have taken the cure, and like others who have seen the light, feel the need to regularly signal their virtuousness (or conceal their guilt) by angrily calling everyone else racists. Or at least, those with whom they disagree on other matters.

There are no doubt some antisemites involved with Labour, but nowhere near the amount painted by the media and the Rabbi who is a supporter of Johnson and the Tory Party. This is the Johnson who insults black people and women Muslims who wear burkas. In other words he is a racist.

To follow up an unanswered question: Are Gee Vaucher and Penny Rimbaud your friends?

Jack

Jack

They were very well covered, acknowledged and celebrated on R4 Today this morning.

Deliberate inclusion?

No ‘apparently’ or ‘may be’, your PM is a clear and demonstrable racist, homophobe and liar

https://www.businessinsider.com/bor...omments-bumboys-piccaninnies-2019-6?r=US&IR=T

That’s anecdote.

Bum boys doesn’t offend me. Neither does fags, queers, poofs, fairies, fruits etc.

It’s all about the context of use.

I feel quite qualified to comment:p without anyone's ‘outraged by proxy’ view or stance or hijacking seemingly for their own ends.

But, take away my rights and ......:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
I do hope it is shown if only in summary.

Just shows how in adversity art always holds the line. Which is why I'm often puzzled by our little coterie of UKipper types. What on earth do they listen to? What to they read and what art do they look at? This is after all a site dedicated to the appreciation of art in the form of music.

Think- Pussy Riot, Bikini Kill, Cave, Pogues, Slits, Pistols, Clash, Marley, Young, Fairport, Springsteen, Beatles, Stones, Cohen, Dylan, Hank, Johnson, Bessie Smith and everything else in my 1500 records. The 'lefty', 'liberal elite' right there.

Our some time resident Tory Mescalito was always a fan of much of that, yet he didn't let it affect his right wing views one bit.

An awful lot of fans of 'traditional' British Folk Music also see it as representing a 'great' former Britain. unsullied by immigrants or any of the other consequences of Empire. The same are happy to sing along to songs detailing the poverty and hardship which occurred in the home countires as a direct result of empire.. with no sense of irony whatever.

It's a mistake to assign strong ties between musical taste and political views. I mean.. I like Elgar... and I'm moderately extreme!

An awful lot of fans of 'traditional' British Folk Music also see it as representing a 'great' former Britain. unsullied by immigrants or any of the other consequences of Empire. The same are happy to sing along to songs detailing the poverty and hardship which occurred in the home countires as a direct result of empire.. with no sense of irony whatever.

No, no, no, no and f**ing hell NO. You are so wrong it is not even funny. Pretty much the entire British folk scene is rabidly anti facist, anti tory, anti establishment and a hotbed of protest against pretty much everything right wing, Brexit and empire. It is an incredibly inclusive and welcoming community looking to maintain traditions across the world and cultures. You should try a folk club or festival for yourself and find out for real. Knowing your political tendencies from on here, you would find a very sympathetic reception.

There was a disgusting reference by Nick wossname, former leader of some version of the EDL, BNP or whatever they were called at the time about liking "Traditional" folk music and the entire folk scene rejected his comments totally and campaigned vigorously against these shameful claims.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2010/jan/26/nick-griffin-bnp-folk-music

http://www.brightyoungfolk.com/records/folk-against-fascism-volune-one-various-artis

Whoahh!!

Gareth.. I said 'an awful lot' .. that's not 'all'. I was also writing in the context of what I said about the way many people can divorce their political allegiances from their musical taste.. a la Mescalito.

Also. I was referencing 'fans' more than artists. I've not been a regular at folk clubs for many years,mostly because in this neck of the woods they have declined.. but I've seen and rubbed shoulders with many of the greats, including Martin Carthy, the late Swarbrick and others. Shay Black ( Brother of Mary.) and many others in the 'Irish' scene too.

I have to admit that a lot of my opinion was formed in the 1980s when a lot of NF people latched onto the folk scene in my area.. thinking it somehow reinforced their grip on 'Britishness'

Thing is.. your first article, concerning Eliza Carthy, confirms that the UK far right have indeed attempted to infiltrate the UK folk scene and claim it.. in the same way that they have tried to claim the English flag as theirs. Eliza rejects them, I reject them, you reject them and I don't doubt that the bulk of folk fans and musicians do likewise.. but that doesn't negate the fact that the far right Parties have tried it on.. and that more than a few far right individuals have tried it on too.

I may have overstated my case.. within the context of what I was posting.. If I've caused any offence it certainly wasn't intended.. But there is no doubt that the far right tries and will continue to try.. to appropriate any part of 'British' culture that it can, in order to falsely legitimise its views.

It's brilliant!

I think all competitions should end this way, no losers, perfect, then we can progress from there to not even having competitions. Would stop a few arguments at the weekends :D

advertisement

Back