advertisement

Tunes for the Euros Final

Spraggons Den

pfm Member
I am growing a little tired of the same old songs accompanying our success in the tournament so, given the countries history in associating some of our fantastic music with football, I wonder if folks can suggest new tunes for Sunday’s final. I proffer the following which reflect modern, multicultural England:

Daydreaming - Massive Attack
We Come one - Faithless

Billy Bragg - The Boy Done Good
Edwyn Collins - Hope and Despair

and of course plenty more HMHB

Even Men With Steel Hearts (love to see a dog on the pitch)
Paintball's Coming Home
Gubba Look-a-likes
Mathematically Safe
The Referee's Alphabet

The winner takes it all - ABBA.
Another one bites the dust - Queen.
Fingers crossed.. We are the champions - Queen.

All four sides Lou Reed’s Metal Machine Music followed by some Merzbow, Acid Mothers Temple, or maybe Stockhausen. It would bring a much needed abstract avant-garde/Dadaist ballet element to what is otherwise a rather dull visual spectacle.

PS: We don’t like sports of any kind, and friends at school were very much thin on the ground.

HMHB: Get Kramer

Hopefully for England, a French marching tune La victoire est à nous, used in the film Waterloo for the advance of the Old Guard

Good suggestions so far - wish I had thought of the Fall or HMHB songs. Anyway, my next suggestion:

Paths of Victory - Bob Dylan

Good to see the kind, generous and not green with envy at all folks north of the border getting into the mood and supporting England - well done Nicola - but in the interest of authenticity I think it would be good to exclude rubbish bands from Scotland such as the Bay City Rollers, Proclaimers etc and stick to some of the music from great English bands over the last 55 years so here are my next nominations:

Waterloo Sunset - the Kinks
Ride a White Swan(broadcast and alternate versions on Qobuz) - Trex
Champagne Supernova - Oasis

Radiohead have it covered on just one album.

Before:
The National Anthem (obviously)
and
Optimistic

After, either:
Everything in its Right Place
Or
How to Disappear Completely

advertisement

Back