1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Tubular Bells vinyl labels

Discussion in 'music' started by thranderson, Jan 20, 2020.

1. thranderson

thranderson pfm Member

Hi
    I have six copies of Tubular Bells all black vinyl.
    1 V2001 Two girls/dragon black & white
    2 87541ET Virgin Green/Red
    3 V2001 Two girls/dragon full colour (2 copies)
    4 V2001 Two girls only on grey background
    5 V2001 Virgin Green/Red. This is the one I play.

Apart from my descriptors above, can onyone out there provide some more information?
    Thanks

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

1 V2001 Two girls/dragon black & white: UK 1st press, should have gloss laminated sleeve, quite collectable now, especially if it has hand-written matrixes.

3 V2001 Two girls/dragon full colour (2 copies): likely UK second pressing, though some international pressings fit this description (i.e. I’d need more info).

4 V2001 Two girls only on grey background: later repress, about ‘75-6.

5 V2001 Virgin Green/Red: late-70s/early-80s pressing.

2 87541ET Virgin Green/Red: not sure of that catalogue off the top of my head, but likely a late-70s/early-80s import.

Assuming all were mint the b&w label laminated sleeve UK first press is the one I’d want (and do actually own).

PS Worth looking at discogs.com as IIRC there are a couple of mixes, I know the version in the ‘Boxed’ box set is a different mix, as obviously is the quadrophonic version (colour ‘two-virgins’ label, matt cover with ‘for people with four ears’ sticker).

3. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

I have number 1 and the quad box.

4. madmike

madmike I feel much better now, I really do...

I have the colour virgins and the box, always preferred the box mix.

5. Wolfmancatsup

Wolfmancatsup Empire State Human

I used to have no. 1, but now have the quad and the boxed set. Think the box set is quad too...

6. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

87541ET is a Dutch release.

This is an interesting quote from Mike from the Sound on Sound article on TB. (https://www.soundonsound.com/people/classic-tracks-mike-oldfield-tubular-bells)

I'm willing to bet that he's referring to the Phil Newell remix for 'Boxed'.

Now, if you want to get complicated, look at all the CD versions with different mixes and masters...