advertisement

Tubular Bells, revisited.

Finally remembered and found the record (but not the c.d?)

3rd U.K. pressing apparently. Coloured labels.

R-2292542-1375542394-4072.jpeg.jpg

More Images

Mike Oldfield ‎– Tubular Bells
Label:
Virgin ‎– V2001
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue, Repress, Stereo
UK
Released:
Genre:
Rock

I have a CD of Tubular Bells given away free with a newspaper in a cardboard sleeve. It sounds rather excellent to my ears.

Also have several original vinyl copies knocking about.

This might be of interest - the last scene of Tony Palmer's "All You Need is Love" documentary.

Tony presented Mike as the future of rock. Well, it was 1975... ;)

@Seeker_UK

I think you will find this interesting.

The Mail On Sunday copy (2007) is the 2000 remaster, so I had a look on Discogs at other issues from that year and found that the 2000 remaster was issued as a HDCD.
This is what I saw >
R-581594-1406462757-5962.jpeg.jpg

More Images

Mike Oldfield ‎– Tubular Bells
Label:
Virgin ‎– 7243 8 49388 26, Virgin ‎– 7243 8 49388 2 6, Virgin ‎– CDVR2001
Series:
Mike Oldfield Remastered HDCD
Format:
CD, HDCD, Album, Reissue, Remastered
Europe
Released:

So I put the freebie promo copy from 2007 in my Arcam Alpha 9…
The red light has lit up, this means it is a HDCD!
(unless I am making some mistake, but I don’t think so, the red light only comes on if I put a HDCD in the Arcam cdp.)

I am going to edit the Discogs entry to include the HDCD format, but apart from the red light on the Arcam, I am unsure as to how to prove it as there is no mention of HDCD on the c.d. or sleeve. It does mention that it is a digital remaster published in 2000.

@Big Tabs

Thanks for pointing that out, I never knew.

To confirm, I banged it into Foobar and it reports as an HDCD, so yep, it is.

So I ran both the MOS and 2000 HDCD reissue through DR database and apart from a slight difference in peak values, they have the same dynamic range so, would seem to be the same issue which is different to what the SH forum reported a few years ago which states that it's the Stereo track from the DSD remaster used on the SACD (not the hybird though o_O). https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thre...dfield-tubular-bells-cd-version.148446/page-5

Anyway neither sound as good to these ears as the Virgin '84 issue. :p

advertisement

Back