advertisement

Tube dampers

It is your money to spend a you wish but again I have have never had a convincing demo of the value of these things.

If they are supposed to damp down any vibration, where is the vibration taking place?

If in the plates then the rings can't have any effect as the plates are inside the tube, sorry Valve. If to stop the Valve from vibrating I can't see that happening given how tightly they are normally held in the sockets.

Try this, get a set of any type, the more expensive the better, get your friend to come round and do a blind test getting your friend to either fit them or not and you listen without seeing if you have them fitted.

If you have bought the dampers on a try first and return if you don't like setup, as with NVA and a few other manufacturers then you have saved yourself a lot of money.

My money is on the fact that you won't be able to hear any difference.

It is your money to spend a you wish but again I have have never had a convincing demo of the value of these things.

If they are supposed to damp down any vibration, where is the vibration taking place?

If in the plates then the rings can't have any effect as the plates are inside the tube, sorry Valve. If to stop the Valve from vibrating I can't see that happening given how tightly they are normally held in the sockets.

Try this, get a set of any type, the more expensive the better, get your friend to come round and do a blind test getting your friend to either fit them or not and you listen without seeing if you have them fitted.

If you have bought the dampers on a try first and return if you don't like setup, as with NVA and a few other manufacturers then you have saved yourself a lot of money.

My money is on the fact that you won't be able to hear any difference.

Thank you, you comments have been noted. Any other peoples views are welcomed. That why we have the pink fish for a good education.:)

I used some Herbies Tube Dampers ( www.herbiesaudiolab.net/tube.htm ) when I had a valve based setup. I used them on the "power valves" only mind you, after using their "way excellent" turntable mat to good effect.
There was a very small effect in terms of separation and "tidying up" of the bass but little else. A friend and I did a few hours listening with dampers on/dampers off in a non-scientific way (turned listening chairs round so the amp couldn't be seen) and could spot the dampers on on about 7 or 8/10 occasions with some styles of music - not complex orchestral.
They look pretty good too.

Well. valves certainly can be microphonic - in some cases, they can be extremely microphonic. The part that is supposed to be damped is the glass of the valve itself, and this part certainly can pick up acoustic vibration from the speakers.

That brass ring looks like an olive for a copper pipe coupling.

If your tubes are any of the following diameter first try them from any plumbers merchant:
15mm
22mm
28mm
35mm
42mm

Well. valves certainly can be microphonic - in some cases, they can be extremely microphonic. The part that is supposed to be damped is the glass of the valve itself, and this part certainly can pick up acoustic vibration from the speakers.

This is a good description of of why you may need to dampen you valves.
In the pasted I've use just plain old electrical grommets and they work as well as anything else.

Small high gain valves can be very microphonic and work best with 2 or 3 grommet place around the valve.

Best of all you can find them for less than a £5 for a 100 it got to be worth a try.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Ele...t/Rubber+Grommet+25mm+Open/d190/sd2460/p77988

ID is about 20mm so it will fit around a ECC83 (B9A) sized valve.

Sharif

That brass ring looks like an olive for a copper pipe coupling.

If your tubes are any of the following diameter first try them from any plumbers merchant:
15mm
22mm
28mm
35mm
42mm

The only problem I see is, solder may melt. Could be problem on circuit board, if the tube/valve stands up right. Clean solder out and cut grove with saw and place spring clip around ring, that may work.

Solder melts at a rather higher temperature than the valve enelope will or indeed should ever get to. Look it up (hint, >180degC)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Can you just to braid all tubes together with bare cooper wire? Like horse legs (to hobble?). If they are different size, they will resonate at different frequency and they will damp each other. Or not?

I have still yet to hear a convincing blind test of this...Anyone willing to set it up?

I have still yet to hear a convincing blind test of this...Anyone willing to set it up?

A long time ago a friend owned a Counterpoint pre-amp - if you spoke loudly at it your voice came out the speakers. A couple of years ago another friend brought a valve phonostage to one of Andrew's bake-offs - it turned out to be so microphonic it picked up people speaking in the room - their voices could be heard on the turntable recordings - no blind test was needed there.

A long time ago a friend owned a Counterpoint pre-amp - if you spoke loudly at it your voice came out the speakers. A couple of years ago another friend brought a valve phonostage to one of Andrew's bake-offs - it turned out to be so microphonic it picked up people speaking on the room - their voices could be heard on the turntable recordings - no blind test was needed there.

Indeed and I still haven't solved it. Damping the envelope didn't help much. :(

In the olden days valve microphony was common and you coud get anti-microphonic valve bases to counter it. The EMI TR50 tape machine of the early fifties had the first three valves in the amp on a small sub chassis mounted on soft rubber anti vibration mounts. This was quite effective despite being ony a few inches from the motor. I can`t see bits of copper pipe being very usefull for this purpose.

advertisement

Back