advertisement

TT 230V Synchronous motor PSU options

slawekt

pfm Member
As in the title I'm looking for controller to stabilise speed of Clearaudio Emotion TT , one option is Smart Syncro from CA , fine tuning speed is a bonus but £660 is bit too much , what else is worth looking at ?

I am also interested in your thread to control the motor in my Wilson Benesch Circle TT.
Apparently the Longdog mains regenerator does the job but its £800!

How about a Hercules from Stamford Audio? I don't think it has fine tuning but it does provide a clean and stable supply to the motor and has one touch speed selection. You will have to put it in a housing though.

Heed also make some decent PSUs.

Thanks for reply's , yes few options available Heed Orbit , Isoknetik IsoDrive( apparently exactly the same as Heed) , question is how steady they are .
Am more interested in how good they are electrically then sound improvement. M.Bastin Wave Mechanic is another option but they are 110V I think.

Which one is outputing 230V/50Hz , seems they sell few different options ?
All of them I believe, well actually they output two 110v phases, most 230v turntables use a 110v motor with a selection of capacitors and resistors to drop the voltage and provide phase shift, you bypass this circuitry with a PSU like the Hercules.

There is Wave Mechanic 230V/50Hz version sold under AnalogueWorks brand for whooping £795 .

I'd recommend contacting Martin Bastin directly if you're interested in one of his Wave Mechanic supplies, he is lovely to deal with and can usually do something bespoke to suit your needs. I went this way on my old Basis Debut (220vac/50Hz motor) and it worked brilliantly, as well as being good value too.

Ego, what motor does the wb use?
I can't see the motor as it is in a housing under the platter but the TT just plugs directly into the mains without any controller. To change speed I have to remove the platter and alter the belt on the pulley so I guess it is a 240vac synchronous motor, I did find this in a review:
"Wilson Benesch adopted the 250rpm Premotec AC-synchronous motor"

Ok in that case, assuming the same mounting as Rega. You can beg paul Darwin to sell you just a bare motor and build a Meldano psu. 250 all in, if you're diyish

Most direct mains powered decks use a 250rpm Premotec/Phillips/Airpax motor, they’re all basically the same specification and are interchangeable, and as such they’re interchangeable. They aren’t 230v motors, they’re 110v, the basic PSUs use large ceramic resistors to drop the voltage. I’m fairly certain that a Hercules/Valhalla or any other PSU designed for an AC LP12 will drive the motor, you just need to figure out how to wire it up and house it properly.

I will try and investigate to see for certain which motor your deck uses.

Motor in CA Emotion SE definitely is 230V ,
anyone knows what's the voltage on the output of Heed Orbit 2 or Isokinetik?

It looks as though the Orbit 2 or ISOdrive 2 will probably suit, they output 220v single phase, so you just fit a male iec plug to the main lead on your turntable and plug it into the back of the PSU. It’s not quite the same as having a proper twin phase PSU but it should still provide a stable supply and will give you speed change at the touch of a button. They look as though they’re identical bar the label, the ISOdrive is about £75 cheaper, so I’d probably buy that one.

Would suggest a decent modern deck with built-in speed control as standard only thing a turntable should do is rotate at the correct speed
or the DIY route using a fractional horsepower / micro VSD ( variable speed drive )
TT should be circa 3-5watts - £99 new 370watt 0.37kw VSD & turn current limit to min
& rotation in one direction only & long , not instant speed ramp up & no dc braking set to soft start & stop
VSD used to control industrial motors since the 70s & motors up to 200Mw ships , steelmills etc
IC chip based VSD could also be used

http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/siemens_micromaster_420_e.html

DIY route might be the way to follow, thanks for the link "daytona600"
I've been in touch with Heed , they say Orbit2 won't work with CA tables but they're not sure what motor it uses , after sending all details no reply , Isokinetik no reply neither .

DIY route might be the way to follow, thanks for the link "daytona600"
I've been in touch with Heed , they say Orbit2 won't work with CA tables but they're not sure what motor it uses , after sending all details no reply , Isokinetik no reply neither .
I also asked Heed and Isokinetik regarding my WBCircle and didn't get a response either...:(

That’s odd. I can’t see why it wouldn’t work. The Orbit and ISOdrive simply put out 220v AC at 50hz for 33rpm and 67.5 for 45rpm, it should work with any deck that runs on 220-240v 50hz and uses a synchronous motor with a basic PSU ( i.e. one that uses only passive components). Either they’ve tested it and for some reason it doesn’t... or they won’t confirm it as compatible because they don’t have the motor specs. I tried looking for information on the motor they use and drew a blank. The only way to find out would be to open the motor housing and take a look.

Some Clearaudio decks use a DC motor so those wouldn’t be compatible but yours obviously isn’t one of them.

Honestly, rega 24v motor and Meldano's controllet, nowt to touch it under a grand
I was just thinking of suggesting Rega’s 24v motor and the Neo PSU, they do a sterling job on my P5... you’d have to find a way of housing the anti vibration/input board for the motor but it would be fairly easy to do. What is Meldano’s controller? it not something I’ve heard of.

advertisement

Back