advertisement

Trump Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's also exasperating to see so many progressives are still fixated on Clinton. She lost, gerroverit! The immediate threat to workers and the environment is Trump and his bunch of far-right Republican nutters so how about the Left focuses all of its energy on fighting that.

Agreed. The internet far-left apologist stance for Trump/Putin etc is just beyond bonkers IMO. The Republican party are a total disater. Always have been, always will be. I would vote for any Democrat over any Republican in a heartbeat as there is just so much real difference in policy. Trump is the most divisive, obnoxious and ridiculous Republican to date, I just hope he does irreparable damage to the party.

I respectfully suggest that what the left needs to be doing is supporting Bernie Sanders and the Justice Democrats. Otherwise - if the current crop of right-wing political prostitutes masquerading as progressives are still in charge - Trump will win again in 2020, and if by some miracle he does not, progressives lose anyway as Republican lite will have won.

What the fu** is the "internet far left apologist stance for Trump and Putin"??

Who are these people? Where can I find info on them?

I found a couple of articles in today's New York Times worrisome:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/02/...n-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/03/opinion/donald-trump-democrats-better-deal.html?ref=opinion

Trump is clearly a thin-skinned, impulsive narcissist with the attention span of a gnat, but he's not a complete fool. He clearly knows on which side his bread is buttered and he caters to that side. Perhaps he really could shoot someone in Times Square and get away with it. The respectable press might moan and groan about him, but they have no influence on the Faux News-loving folk out there in Redland - indeed they are seen as the enemy in the way of progress.

I think the USA is going to take a very long time to recover from Trumpism.

I like Bernie Sanders and think he would do a world of good for the ol' U.S. of eh, but the likelihood of him winning a presidential election is slim to none. The second he would become a candidate is the second the right-wing noise machine would destroy him.

Joe

I like Bernie Sanders and think he would do a world of good for the ol' U.S. of eh, but the likelihood of him winning a presidential election is slim to none. The second he would become a candidate is the second the right-wing noise machine would destroy him.

Joe

The same was said regarding Corbyn. I accept that the US' machine is not the same as the UK's, but the latter is no picnic.

Sean,

I've lived next door to the US for my entire life, apart from 5.5 years when I lived in the US.

It has pockets of liberalism and progressiveness in line with Bernie's views, but the nation as a whole would not support him as president. Any country that would elect Ronnie Reagan twice, George Bush junior twice and Trump once will not suddenly veer left.

Joe

Joe, according to polling - cross-party polling - the US electorate want single payer healthcare.

They want a living minimum wage.

They want an end to the wars.

They want free college tuition.

Getting money out of politics.

Bernie Sanders stands for all these things (though he could be more committed to the ending the wars bit)

Whether you know it or not he's recently been giving speeches to large audiences in various red states.

He's currently the most popular politician in the US by far.

Slim to none? I would say "if" he had the support of the DNC he would win.

Anyway, there are others like Tulsi Gabbard who I personally would love to see as President.

The point I continually make on here is that if the corporate Democrats remain in charge then aside from them likely losing, they would not stand for any of these things.

The people need these things. They want them. They don't have the time for bull shit incremental improvements on social issues etc while inequality and poverty continue to spiral.

All the problems that were there before Trump need addressing, and these corporate Democrats won't do it. So while they may be considered better than Trump they're still no good, and just because they oppose him (apart from when he drops bombs!) Doesn't mean people should support them, IMO.

Boot the Bastards out I say. And vote in people who want to serve the people rather than their donors. Otherwise it's just as you were before Trump, and for too many people that is just no good.

Joe, you'd be surprised. The UK elected Thatcher no less than three times, and Corbyn is certainly going to be the next PM. Things are volatile all over.

Dudes,

I'd be thrilled if a real progressive were elected, but history suggests otherwise. Bernie would be considered left-of-centre in Canada and even we've never elected anyone that left. To think he would be elected in the U.S. is a big fat reefer dream, man.

The only hope I see is if the U.S. were to split into two countries, basically the heartland and the south as one nation and bits of the east and west coast as the other. It would be an interesting experiment, as the east and west coast are, by and large, the powerhouse states.

Joe

We will have to agree to disagree Joe. But bare in mind what the majority want. It certainly isn't business as usual...

Max,

If Bernie could have delivered a resounding victory the Dems would have been all over him, just like how the Republicans are all over Trump now.

The key to power and change is actually being in office.

Joe

Max,

If you want to hold the reins of power you have to be in power. If Bernie could have secured a Dem victory, as you seem assured he would, Bernie would have been the candidate who emerged unchallenged from the primaries way back when.

Joe

The point I continually make on here is that if the corporate Democrats remain in charge then aside from them likely losing, they would not stand for any of these things.

The people need these things. They want them. They don't have the time for bull shit incremental improvements on social issues etc while inequality and poverty continue to spiral.

All the problems that were there before Trump need addressing, and these corporate Democrats won't do it. So while they may be considered better than Trump they're still no good, and just because they oppose him (apart from when he drops bombs!) Doesn't mean people should support them, IMO.

Boot the Bastards out I say. And vote in people who want to serve the people rather than their donors. Otherwise it's just as you were before Trump, and for too many people that is just no good.
Max, you sometimes write as if you're the only person here who wants a decent progressive vision for the USA. That's patently not true. I would love to see a rejuvenated Democrat Party offering a genuine alternative to the electorate which included universal basic health care funded by taxation.

However, "incremental bullshit" is all that was on offer last November and, given the alternative nightmarish far-right wannabe dictator that is Trump, that was clearly the best choice.

I don't want to rehash old arguments but here's a thought experiment for you: given what you now know about Trump do you still see him as the lesser of two evils, compared with Clinton? Bear in mind that Trump is as eager as any President I can remember to involve the US in military action (in entirely new theatres of war too - N Korea, Venezuela... anywhere appears to be fair game).

It's a hypothetical question but maybe you'll humour me with a short answer. No need for a long rant about how corrupt the current Democrats are - we get that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back