advertisement

Trump Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good piece by Richard Wolff on yesterday's press conference on The Guardian app today. I didn't hear the bit about uranium on the news last night but it went like this:

'You know what uranium is, right? This thing called nuclear weapons like lots of things are done with uranium, including some bad things.'

Obviously chatting to guests about the US military's nuclear matters at Mar-a-Lago hasn't been a total waste of time...............

Starting to see critical coverage on FOX News now. One wonders how long until the car crash becomes a full on disaster.

Starting to see critical coverage on FOX News now. One wonders how long until the car crash becomes a full on disaster.

Yes, that was always going to be a telling point.

When the most hardened supporters and Republicans alike begin to feel and look like fools which they do, the end is in sight.

This is what is so infuriating about the BBC sometimes. They say that they have these 'characters' on air in the name of 'balance', but if they are not challenging such utter and blatant lies then they appear to be normalising such behaviour

I reget to say that the above has tended to become SOP for a large part of the BBC 'News and Politics' journalists. 'Balance' is taken to mean giving the same amount of air time and critical challenge to nonsense as to sense. For a long time now political parties have used stopwatch-analysis to give them a reason to complain if they get less 'air time', etc. Sadly, many of the interviewers focus on their own image rather than trying to understand reality and draw out the distinction between reality and fantasy.

Rolling News has made this far worse. They now struggle to look beyond the surface of events because they are obsessed with not being 'scooped'.

Sometimes if you listen to the in-depth analysis documentaries on R4 you wonder how they can come from the same broadcaster as 'Today', etc. Chalk and cheese.

IIUC there is a protocol where the Secret Sevice guys may have to decide if they need to shoot the President if they think he has gone mad and is about to initiate a nuclear strike. The snag being that they themselves may then be shot or tried successfully for Treason. I'm starting to wonder if this is on their minds recently... :-/

On a cheerier note, I wonder if the best reaction of the press to Trump's press conferences is to all laugh in his face or simply all decide not to bother to attend. I guess they do go because they feel they have to.

In the process of maintaining 'balance' the BBC runs the risk of becoming irrelevant as we might as well just flick between Fox, RT and Al Jazeera.

The 40 year Navy Seal guy who was offered Flynn's job to a friend. A friend of Harward's says he was reluctant to take NSA job bc the WH seems so chaotic; says Harward called the offer a "shit sandwich".

On a cheerier note, I wonder if the best reaction of the press to Trump's press conferences is to all laugh in his face or simply all decide not to bother to attend. I guess they do go because they feel they have to.
Ridicule is a powerful response to all sorts of inappropriate behaviour, and I'd quite like to see someone informed point and laugh at Mr Spicer or Ms. Conway, and openly call them on their BS in conference.

It'd probably also work well on Trump with his bloated and fragile ego; but it's actually a measure of the damage Trump has wrought on the Office of the Presidency itself (in very short order) that ridicule even seems a reasonable response. I suspect it is only an enduring measure of respect for the Office, and not Trump himself, that holds back news commentators for now.

If that dam breaks - the US will truly be through the looking-glass, and sticking that genie back in the bottle later for future incumbents could become a messy, quite possibly bloody, task.

The Press should all identify themselves as Fox News from now on and then grill Drumpf. Alternative facts.

The head of news at the BBC is the former editor of The Times, James Harding. At one point he worked as a negotiator for MP Oliver Letwin, the then Minister of State for Government Policy in Cameron's cabinet.

An educated guess would be Harding is a Tory and the BBC News reflects this.

As an aside, Harding oversaw The Times when it ran an article called In Defence of Israel during the Gaza offensive.

May has acted like Mrs Trump, holding Donald's hand, and obviously doesn't want to upset him because of the Brexit.

This could be why the BBC is so lame when dealing with Trump and his supporters. Somebody did manage to get a halfway decent question in yesterday during Trump's chaotic press conference. It is the first I've heard from the BBC in three weeks.

Jack

For my money, if the BBC is pissing Trump off (as evident from his response to Jon Sopel's question) and pissing you off (because they are part of the glorious Zionist-military industrial-Tory complex) then they're probably getting it about right.

BTW, people publishing things with which you disagree is the definition of a 'free press'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back