advertisement

Trump Part 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yank

Bulbous Also Tapered
Because he was symptomatic and having the test allows him to start on the meds immediately rather than waiting for scans and a formal diagnosis, would be my guess based on the podcast I just listened to. A more pertinent question, I have brilliantly remembered from that very same podcast, is how they managed to persuade him to go to the hospital?

https://www.patreon.com/posts/trumps-dementia-39645387

That was my assumption. Seems to me that even mentioning in public that he's recently undergone a cognitive ability test was a monumentally stupid move.

Just keep him in place long enough to sink the GOP in November then I don’t care what happens to him after that.

Am feeling the same, and with 100 days to go, we should be heartened by polls showing Biden building leads in most swing states. That said, I still think it will be a close election.

Not a fan of Mitt Romney, but would not accuse him of stupidity. He hates Trump, but still thinks he will win re-election.

“There are enormous advantages to being the incumbent, number one,” Romney told HuffPost on Thursday. “Number two, I think [Trump] will tack more towards the middle in his communication than he has so far. And number three, I think the voters that are most animated in opposition to the president tend not to come out to vote ― and that’s young people and the minorities. They’re active in polls, but not necessarily active at actually getting out to the polls,” the senator said.

It's point 3 that has me most concerned. The Bernie Bro's didn't show up in the primary, and I could see enough dems not showing up in the general, allowing Trump to win. The mid-terms' turnout gives me hope, though.

At this point I think black lives matter should put 100% of their efforts into getting folks to vote. If Trump is re-elected and the GOP holds the senate then any and all efforts to address racial inequality will be pissing in the wind.

It's point 3 that has me most concerned. The Bernie Bro's [sic] didn't show up in the primary

if that's the way you want to roll, please tell us what you are:

pelosi cuck?

biden granny?

also, which of the primaries are you talking about?

He sounds like he has a speech impediment, he doesn't sound camp. Also, at the risk of outing myself as woke, in the UK we stopped think camp == gay when we realised 1970s sitcoms were not very funny :)

OK, let me get this right. the problem is me being sympathetic to gay man via alleged innocent error (your claim; i object) rather than you making fun of a person for speech impediment? i know serbia is not as polished or aristocratic as the UK, but we stopped doing that sort of thing way before the 1970s, probably before the ottoman empire :)

PS Spoiler warning: Greenwald does that highly irritating ‘rising pitch on the last word in each sentence’ thing. If you are bored, which you will be, you can count them.

a different characteristic being pointed out here.

The other thing I would say about this, is that in the UK we had all this in the 1980s when I was a student. Back then politics was dominated by talk of the "loony left", whether deplatforming was a good thing or an attack on free speech, whether it was possible to be a voice of dissent on campus on topics like race and homophobia, etc. etc. The Evergreen story just seemed like something from 30 years ago and is probably why it was quickly forgotten over here.

that's very interesting and not to be dismissed, but you've got some massive discrepancies to account for. at least one of the big "cancel" issues didn't exist back then. nor did twitter or the internet. from my position of prejudice, i'd also suggest that UK students are probably WAY less likely to behave as impolite mob, the way evergreen crowd did. maybe that 's changed over time and you are simply just a step or two behind the USA. regardless, it's all very real over here right now and even i'm afraid to say anything (not talking about pfm, but real life).

OK, let me get this right. the problem is me being sympathetic to gay man via alleged innocent error (your claim; i object) rather than you making fun of a person for speech impediment? i know serbia is not as polished or aristocratic as the UK, but we stopped doing that sort of thing way before the 1970s, probably before the ottoman empire :)

I meant a literal speech impediment from ill fitting teeth, rather than a disability. But yes my words were poorly chosen.

The camp voice thing is maybe UK specific because it has a rich history in popular culture. Some of this is good, knowing high camp (Kenneth Williams, Round the Horn, etc) from a time when being gay was literally illegal but a lot of it was bad notably in the 1970s sitcoms where gay men were constantly portrayed as little more than effeminate and camp. I know lots of gay men and literally none of them have a camp voice and conflating the two would be considered at least tiresome and often moderately offensive.

that's very interesting and not to be dismissed, but you've got some massive discrepancies to account for. at least one of the big "cancel" issues didn't exist back then. nor did twitter or the internet. from my position of prejudice, i'd also suggest that UK students are probably WAY less likely to behave as impolite mob, the way evergreen crowd did. maybe that 's changed over time and you are simply just a step or two behind the USA. regardless, it's all very real over here right now and even i'm afraid to say anything (not talking about pfm, but real life).

UK students of my era would behaved exactly like the Evergreen mob because we were young, "radical" and trying to make a difference. Indeed the unreasonable, radical student of the 80s was a staple of humour at the time. Students these days, though, are much more apathetic and less political and more focused on their work. The vast majority of this difference is, i suspect, because when I was a student we had our fees paid and got a grant to live on rather than a degree costing you upwards of £25k in debt.

Also over here the "you can't say anything these days" is a trope of the ignorant, the right and specifically the Daily Mail rather than college professors. It does get more difficult where minority groups in some sense overlap which is why feminists -- especially of my generation where there is a great sense of hard battles not yet fully won -- can come into conflict with the trans community. Although I would stress that, as with Israel Palestine, careful speakers on these issues can safely navigate these waters without their speech being restricted or starting a fight.

The camp voice thing is maybe UK specific because it has a rich history in popular culture. Some of this is good, knowing high camp (Kenneth Williams, Round the Horn, etc) from a time when being gay was literally illegal but a lot of it was bad notably in the 1970s sitcoms where gay men were constantly portrayed as little more than effeminate and camp. I know lots of gay men and literally none of them have a camp voice and conflating the two would be considered at least tiresome and often moderately offensive.

The camp voice/mannerisms tends to go with certain professions (eg acting, hairdressing). I've sometimes wondered if it was a 'mimicry' thing, but Kenneth Williams hated his voice, and wished he could speak in a more 'manly' way, so maybe it's innate.

The camp voice/mannerisms tends to go with certain professions (eg acting, hairdressing). I've sometimes wondered if it was a 'mimicry' thing, but Kenneth Williams hated his voice, and wished he could speak in a more 'manly' way, so maybe it's innate.

Yes i was thinking more of Williams in character (Julian and Sandy) as an example of "good camp", rather than his voice in real life. He was quite a complicated individual of course, although equally also in my Top 10 of Greatest Ever Englishmen.

Also I said Round the Horn instead of Horne. This alone is enough to get anyone cancelled :)

if that's the way you want to roll, please tell us what you are:

pelosi cuck?

biden granny?

also, which of the primaries are you talking about?

i wanted to be in Warren's warren, but she dropped out before I got to vote in the primary, 2020 presidential, so I settled for being a bro.

Although I would stress that, as with Israel Palestine, careful speakers on these issues can safely navigate these waters without their speech being restricted or starting a fight.

speakers? just to clarify again, i am NOT talking about "speakers", students banning speakers, etc. i am talking very specifically about academic psychologists avoiding research on, and class discussion of, certain things. not "anything", just a few things, but important and topical. this isn't just on the basis of chatting with some of them, but actually trying to find stuff in the journals.

That's genuinely scary.

That scenario is a very real danger. If the election is close enough that Trump can make a 'credible' claim to legitimacy as outlined, we could wind up with more armed force loyal to him than to Biden, setting the stage for an out-and-out dictatorship. Best chance to avoid is a landslide Biden victory that cannot be credibly disputed.

Last edited:
Could the courts not go back to the popular vote numbers as some sort of indication of the actual wishes of the Demos, in such a situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back