advertisement

Trump Part 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I managed about 5 mins

back to substance...

i'm actually at odds with greenwald on a lot of this and i posted the video because i thought YOU would be totally on board with him, for a change. i suspect i may have conflated your position with that of drood/seanm: our totally improbable resident woke partnership of analytic/continental philosophical schizophrenia like the world has never seen, to riff off trump. so, you're going to have to clarify what you make of "cancel culture" vis-a-vis elites and evergreeners. it may turn out we're exactly on the same page.

Love the way Trump manages to stay on a written brief for more than a couple of sentences and que a few commentators suddenly saying "maybe he gets it", "this represents quite a reverse" and similar bilge. Good God people, this man is enriching himself and his family, burning through your population and sucking up to your enemies while sending goons in to suppress your democracy - get rid.

his speech mannerisms are very much along the lines of many gay, american men, albeit uncommon for a "serious" journalist.

He sounds like he has a speech impediment, he doesn't sound camp. Also, at the risk of outing myself as woke, in the UK we stopped think camp == gay when we realised 1970s sitcoms were not very funny :)

back to substance...

i'm actually at odds with greenwald on a lot of this and i posted the video because i thought YOU would be totally on board with him, for a change. i suspect i may have conflated your position with that of drood/seanm: our totally improbable resident woke partnership of analytic/continental philosophical schizophrenia like the world has never seen, to riff off trump. so, you're going to have to clarify what you make of "cancel culture" vis-a-vis elites and evergreeners. it may turn out we're exactly on the same page.

I think there is some sillyness around Cancel Culture from parts of the left and that the right amplify this as a way of distracting from the legitimate protests about things like police misconduct. But mostly it's about legitimate protest against speech that people disagree with.

I do think people should be able to have a conversation about things like Feminists vs Trans issues without one side attempting to just shut the other side up. Anyone who cannot successfully have such a conversation is I think more part of the problem than the solution. This is not dissimilar to the Israel / Palestine debate where it is entirely possible to have an anti-Israel foreign policy view without lots of people thinking you are a closet anti-semite or to have a pro-Palestinian view without lots of people thinking you are in favour of terrorism.

Getting people sacked is, generally speaking, wrong and self evidently absurd in the case of the guy who was sacked because someone thought he made an Ok sign (assuming it was as reported).

I think Evergreen is an irrelevance that everyone except Tucker Carlson has forgotten about.

I think that about covers it :)

Getting people sacked is, generally speaking, wrong and self evidently absurd in the case of the guy who was sacked because someone thought he made an Ok sign (assuming it was as reported).

In most cases it seems to be ‘not hiring anymore’ rather than ‘sacking’, e.g. JK Rowling’s public speaking calendar is likely far less full now than it would have been a few years ago. I don’t have the slightest issue with this. It is an element of well paid public speakers and university academics that seem to be complaining the loudest to my eyes. I liken it more to a band not getting the same level of gig after a shit third album than “free speech”. It all seems very whiney and entitled to me.

Pumpeo has just noticed that China is a communist state pursuing global hegemony. The US government owes China $1 trillion in debt.

The US government owes China $1 trillion in debt.

Although in the grand scheme of things $1tr is not that big a deal. The vast majority of US debt is money it owes itself and it could easily refinance more if China decided it no longer wanted to invest in America.

China is also trying to reducing its US debt pile. If it did call in its debt the dollar would collapse which would disrupt the global - and China's - economy.

I always thought the conventional wisdom went:

I owe you £10k, I have a problem; I owe you £1m, you have the problem. Assuming there's a grain of truth in this, and that the analogy holds true for global economics (you're now going to tell me it probably doesn't, though) then if the US were to default on some or all of its China debt, would that not impact China equally as much as the US?

I always thought the conventional wisdom went:

I owe you £10k, I have a problem; I owe you £1m, you have the problem. Assuming there's a grain of truth in this, and that the analogy holds true for global economics (you're now going to tell me it probably doesn't, though) then if the US were to default on some or all of its China debt, would that not impact China equally as much as the US?
You may well be making sense but I'm afraid your choice of avatar makes it impossible to take anything you say seriously.

You may well be making sense but I'm afraid your choice of avatar makes it impossible to take anything you say seriously.
It's a picture of a fantasy scenario created by somebody else, which I happened to enjoy. Much like yours I presume. Not sure I understand your problem.

Last edited:
I think Evergreen is an irrelevance that everyone except Tucker Carlson has forgotten about.

maybe in your circle of friends and colleagues. since watching that documentary, i contacted several people i know in academia (various branches of psychology, one of them now a dean; i also did this at time of laurier scandal) and they say things seem to be getting worse. the unanimous impression (not just them, but everyone they work with) is that one dares not approach certain topics, both from clinical and cognitive perspective. basically, science is being distorted and/or silenced by the politics of people who are supposed to be learning about things they don't understand rather than yelling about them. i see fallacies at a D-grade 1st year student level all over the press that are a direct consequence. it's a big social problem.

also, did you happen to notice that charlatan robin diangelo was a behind-the-scenes "consultant" in the documentary? her book is an NYT best-seller right now. clearly, some things have been massively rewarded and encouraged rather than forgotten.

Although in the grand scheme of things $1tr is not that big a deal. The vast majority of US debt is money it owes itself and it could easily refinance more if China decided it no longer wanted to invest in America.

what if a group of evergreen students showed up to your flat, smashed down the door and chanted:

"1 trillion dollars... is a big deal!"
"1 trillion dollars... is a big deal!"

lots of people would believe them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back