advertisement

Trump Part 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
And perhaps buy some winter tires, heavy jackets and snow boots. 10F here the past three mornings :-(

10F is a warm winter AM here in central Idaho. -5F to 5F is more typical. It's a dry cold, so doesn't feel as cold as same temp in more humid areas. On the up side, it's sunny much of the time.

Any time it's too cold to ride a bike comfortably (20F is about my lower limit) it's "cold" for me. The central US has a brutal climate - freezing in winter, hot, humid and stormy in summer. It makes me chuckle when Brits tell me that the weather in America is so much better. They obviously visited Orlando in April.

Remind me, are you in Boston?

I'd imagine if that really did happen and the US split up, I could see it splitting into 3, the NE and West Coast (Democrat-leaning, progressive), and the rest i.e. the SE and Midwest becoming a sort of 'Trumpistan'.

What a scary thought...

Boston? Hah! I'm in Arkansas. I used to run into Hillary's mom at the neighborhood post office.

Remind me, are you in Boston?

I'd imagine if that really did happen and the US split up, I could see it splitting into 3, the NE and West Coast (Democrat-leaning, progressive), and the rest i.e. the SE and Midwest becoming a sort of 'Trumpistan'.

What a scary thought...

1280px-2016_Nationwide_US_presidential_county_map_shaded_by_vote_share.svg.png

Keep in mind that there are slightly more people in the blue areas than in the red...

There has been no end of predictions as to what a post-breakup former USA would look like. Here's a projection from a Russian professor:

DividedStates.jpg

Can't see his "influence" predictions working out.

the blue bits don't have equal representation in the senate.

the 26 smallest states, which together elect a majority of Senate seats, make up only 18 percent of the population.

the blue bits don't have equal representation in the senate.

the 26 smallest states, which together elect a majority of Senate seats, make up only 18 percent of the population.

i don't think that is correct. there is no way the founding fathers would have allowed something that awful to happen.

i don't think that is correct. there is no way the founding fathers would have allowed something that awful to happen.

To be fair they specifically argued about it exactly this point at the first constitutional convention and there is a famous quote from Hamilton in the Federalist Papers denouncing it. Also it was slightly less absurd in the 18th C.

To be fair they specifically argued about it exactly this point at the first constitutional convention and there is a famous quote from Hamilton in the Federalist Papers denouncing it. Also it was slightly less absurd in the 18th C.

matthew.

not sure if you ever got around to reading that harpers' article, but what struck me most was the observation that the constitution is referenced by just about everyone in the way people quote the bible in order to justify something, often with even more solemnity. 18th C is a key thing here. i just can't take it seriously anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back