advertisement

Trump Part 17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time I despair of the UK, along comes Trump, to remind me that American clowns are a lot funnier than our home grown ones.

Well then it would be King King in English. Honestly, the whole thing is a minefield.

Mind blown. It’s good thing I have today off, as I doubt I could have gotten any work done. :)

Last edited:
Well then it would be King King in English. Honestly, the whole thing is a minefield.
You’ve lost me, sorry. If we assume the ‘surname’ is ‘Kong’ then the title/honorific makes him Kong Kong in Danish, but King Kong in English, surely?

You’ve lost me, sorry. If we assume the ‘surname’ is ‘Kong’ then the title/honorific makes him Kong Kong in Danish, but King Kong in English, surely?

Because it's not a literal translation and you want the two different sounds in the name to avoid it sounding stupid. We are not sending him something in the post :)

Because it's not a literal translation and you want the two different sounds in the name to avoid it sounding stupid. We are not sending him something in the post :)

Send him a piece of turf in the post with a label saying “Greenland” and he will be happy, you never know he may take to wearing it instead of the ridiculous syrup he currently has, be an improvement.

*edit, syrup, UK slang term for wig as in “syrup of figs == wig”

There was an interesting piece about word order in Fry’s English Delight a week or two ago, on Radio 4.

Apparently there is a hierarchy for adjectives, and also some understood order for vowel sounds. It’s something we learn quite unconsciously, but it is consistent. So, we get a ‘big bad wolf’ not a ‘bad big wolf’, and a beautiful, antique, red wooden door’ not a ‘wooden, beautiful, red antique door’ for example.

It’s probably why ‘King Kong’ works, but ‘Kong King’ doesn’t, at least not in English.

This Danish fact of which you speak, it's...umm...not very facty is it? What with all these convoluted big ape references, I'm away with the fay wrays.

I was told of this "fact" in a pub by a woman who once had a Danish boyfriend. I cannot link to a formal Wikipedia reference.

68527478_10157362262608150_5794884770433335296_n.jpg

I wonder what Trump is trying to hide while the press are running with the Greenland nonsense?

Really, the media should ignore him unless it’s actually stuff that matters.

Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back