advertisement

Trump Part 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, he is still there ..., who would 'ave predicted that eh, ... many others aren't and some will never get there (hint ... look closer to home) :D:D:D

Fact checkers say Trump lied over 7,000 times. Didn't catch whether it was this year or as POTUS. Now known as LOTUS.
I think that's the POTUS figure. The Washington Post, whose fact checkers award Pinnochio awards (4 Pinnochios is a "pants on fire" rating), have had to establish a special category for Trump, for deceptive statements and downright lies that are repeated even though they have been completely disproven:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/12/14/biggest-pinocchios/?utm_term=.c8efec2da6ec

Elizabeth Warren has announced she will run for the Democratic Party nomination:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/dec/31/elizabeth-warren-2020-run-president-trump

What little I know about her indicates this is a good thing.

From Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Warren)

Elizabeth Ann Warren [...] is an American politician and academic

Can't be having anyone with a hint of expertise, competence or appropriate qualifications in charge these days...;)

Agree. I think she is too devisive.
Moreover, IIRC, she is not exactly a young spring chicken any more. I think the Democrats would fare better with a fresh, new face, another Kennedy, (Bill) Clinton or Obama, someone relatively unsullied by a long past history of dodgy deals and dubious pronouncements.

Moreover, IIRC, she is not exactly a young spring chicken any more. I think the Democrats would fare better with a fresh, new face, another Kennedy, (Bill) Clinton or Obama, someone relatively unsullied by a long past history of dodgy deals and dubious pronouncements.
Maybe she can act as a benchmark? If you want to run, you have to out-Warren Warren. That could draw out a few people of the types you suggest and inhibit a few dinosaurs with a sense of entitlement, perhaps.

I agree. She is an excellent Senator and has done some fine work especially on financial regulation, but she is a bit too "more of the same" from the Democrats who I think should seize the opportunity of Trump's awfulness to run someone younger and a bit more radical. One suspects America will be ready for change like nothing else in 2020.

I do though look forward to her serving as, say, Secretary of Commerce in President Beto's cabinet.

Yes, better the younger male DWI school graduate (and rowing jock with a BA in English Literature) as POTUS than an established female politician with a BA in Political Science from Trinity College, and a political career that started in 1976.:rolleyes:

I do though look forward to her serving as, say, Secretary of Commerce in President Beto's cabinet.

Or treasury secretary. I too like Elizabeth Warren and have a lot of admiration for how she has tried to defend ordinary Americans from predation by financial firms. However I think Trump would easily beat her in the "heartland" (the land where they think from their gut) and there are insufficient electoral college votes in the sane parts of America to carry the presidency.

I think she might make a rather good treasury secretary.

It's absolutely critical that the Democrats take either the senate or the presidency before the next Supreme court justice retires or dies.

quote from the NYT article
"This isn’t the religious right we thought we knew. The Christian nationalist movement today is authoritarian, paranoid and patriarchal at its core. "

Hmm - I've always felt the religious right to be authoritarian, paranoid and patriarchal. Is there any evidence to the contrary from any point in the last several decades ? If it quacks like a paranoid authoritarian patriarch .....

The subtitle of the Atlantic Article is "What the president’s supporters fear most isn’t the corruption of American law, but the corruption of America’s traditional identity."

There's that paranoid authoritarianism again. In that respect both articles agree that Trumps' supporters are paranoid authoritarians, motivated by fears that immigration and cultural change will undermine their status in the country. (Here's hoping ! :) )

All this talk of paranoid authoritarianism reminds me of Brexit.

Yes, better the younger male DWI school graduate (and rowing jock with a BA in English Literature) as POTUS than an established female politician with a BA in Political Science from Trinity College, and a political career that started in 1976.:rolleyes:

My objection to her is not her qualifications but that I think she might not win. Also that was basically Hilary's argument in 2008...

Yeah, this isn’t like, say, trying to find the best scientific director for a mission to Europa. It’s about finding the best sales clown who can generate enough sales to assemble a great team of scientists and engineers for a mission to Europa.

Sorry, best analogy I can do.

Joe

The USA is incapable of electing anyone except a middle aged or more white male.
Obama was an aberration that would not be repeated these days.

This is directed at friends in the USA. When does the House business get started in earnest? I need to order my popcorn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back