advertisement

Trump Part 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't let her smear her fake tan all over my tasteful white pianoforte.. even if I could play it!

She looks decidedly pissed.. in every sense..

And his candles are far from erect...

That's some pretty heavy symbolism right there...

Krugman reads to me like he's slowly coming around to embracing the Thomas Friedman school of journalism approach, in that his thesis often hinges on an anecdotal 'could be' and is heavily massaged to play well to the fear-addicted. A few of his supporting examples (voting legislation, for example) are long established political hijinks. And as most of the editorial press, he misses the larger point entirely that much of what we're seeing now in America is due to a raging influx of emboldened stupid (democratization of information) on one hand and apathy (existential fail overload) on the other.

I think Krugman is right, sadly.

And it isn't just in the USA that we have to be worried, the UK is following not far behind.

Sorry, but this is the sort of Krugman bullshit I'm talking about --

"This week Axios created a bit of a stir with a scoop about a spreadsheetcirculating among Republicans in Congress, listing investigations they think Democrats are likely to carry out if they take the House. The thing about the list is that every item on it — starting with Donald Trump’s tax returns — is something that obviously should be investigated, and would have been investigated under any other president. But the people circulating the document simply take it for granted that Republicans won’t address any of these issues: Party loyalty will prevail over constitutional responsibility."

Shouldn't that last sentence read "But the people circulating the document simply take it for granted that Democrats won’t address any of these issues" ?

If democrats were to address any of these issues all we're likely to get is the Lizzy Warren treatment of stern rebukes for soundbites and gushing Maddow segments. Until enough people realize the depth of the two party racket and fix their Einstein-Level insanity of repeating the same action every 2/4 years and expecting something different, guess what?

Trouble is, they've figured out how to circumvent that one, too, as we've just witnessed in the USA. Party R simply runs a POS candidate against Party D's POS candidate, and when large numbers of Party D's voters sit out Party D is sure to turn on them and further divide the electorate so that even bigger P's OS are ensconced to do whatever it is the ruling class requires.

The comments section for Krugman's article proved heartening after I read this truth teller's contribution:

"The working-classes were the bulwark against fascism. NOT the educated middle-classes; they supported Hitler. The intellectuals were against him but not the professionals, a point that is lost on today's liberal left.

You will all rue the day you let the corporations destroy organized labor in the name of free-trade. Organized labor was the one force capable of keeping the fascists in check.

Offshoring and automation gutted the industrial unions and now there is nothing standing in the way if the fascists ever try to take over. And this was all done on the democrats' watch."

Which is exactly why I spoke out against Bill Clinton and refused to vote for his wife.

The comments section for Krugman's article proved heartening after I read this truth teller's contribution:

"The working-classes were the bulwark against fascism. NOT the educated middle-classes; they supported Hitler. The intellectuals were against him but not the professionals, a point that is lost on today's liberal left.

You will all rue the day you let the corporations destroy organized labor in the name of free-trade. Organized labor was the one force capable of keeping the fascists in check.

Offshoring and automation gutted the industrial unions and now there is nothing standing in the way if the fascists ever try to take over. And this was all done on the democrats' watch."

Which is exactly why I spoke out against Bill Clinton and refused to vote for his wife.

I hope that is right, but looking at the EDL, Britain First marches on the streets in the UK, the fascists currently rioting in Germany, the white supremacist shit in Charlottesville etc they look unemployed/unemployable to lower-working class level, and the anti-fascists protesting against them look far more normal/middle class/wealthy/educated. I accept that is only the thug element of fascism prepared to take to the streets and there may be a lot more (arguably even more cowardly) people holding similarly repugnant views quietly well away from view.

Possibly true. There are certainly a lot of angry people being priced out of a comfortable existence. Charlottesville is a great example of this problem. It is a completely gentrified "Winner of the best place to live" awards galore and hostage to a University that sits on a 2 billion dollar surplus of cash while the entire state budget is nearly a billion short.

There is hardly any rental opportunity in Charlottesville that isn't for students. While the UNI is its largest employer, entry-level jobs are scarce and at wages not markedly above minimum wage. It also grows like a cancer, enveloping street after street in the city and spurring large extra-urban development in outlying areas.

But what you won't hear very much is that liberal Charlottesville's history is one rife with racism. And a rather contradictory history of it, if you've ever read Thomas Jefferson's slavery saga. Anyway ... I'm way OT now so I'll zip it up!

Sorry, but this is the sort of Krugman bullshit I'm talking about --

"This week Axios created a bit of a stir with a scoop about a spreadsheetcirculating among Republicans in Congress, listing investigations they think Democrats are likely to carry out if they take the House. The thing about the list is that every item on it — starting with Donald Trump’s tax returns — is something that obviously should be investigated, and would have been investigated under any other president. But the people circulating the document simply take it for granted that Republicans won’t address any of these issues: Party loyalty will prevail over constitutional responsibility."

Shouldn't that last sentence read "But the people circulating the document simply take it for granted that Democrats won’t address any of these issues" ?

If democrats were to address any of these issues all we're likely to get is the Lizzy Warren treatment of stern rebukes for soundbites and gushing Maddow segments. Until enough people realize the depth of the two party racket and fix their Einstein-Level insanity of repeating the same action every 2/4 years and expecting something different, guess what?

Trouble is, they've figured out how to circumvent that one, too, as we've just witnessed in the USA. Party R simply runs a POS candidate against Party D's POS candidate, and when large numbers of Party D's voters sit out Party D is sure to turn on them and further divide the electorate so that even bigger P's OS are ensconced to do whatever it is the ruling class requires.
The problem would appear to be that the US system, designed by gentlemen of the Enlightenment in the 18th century, is no longer equal to the challenges of the 21st and needs replacing. The last new party to appear on the scent was the Republican Party, and that was in the mid-1850s. The system has evolved to such an extent as to sideline very effectively potential challengers to the duopoly. If I remember correctly, Teddy Roosevelt tried and failed in the early 1900s.

The problem would appear to be that the US system, designed by gentlemen of the Enlightenment in the 18th century, is no longer equal to the challenges of the 21st and needs replacing. The last new party to appear on the scent was the Republican Party, and that was in the mid-1850s. The system has evolved to such an extent as to sideline very effectively potential challengers to the duopoly. If I remember correctly, Teddy Roosevelt tried and failed in the early 1900s.
As always happens in the first past the post system, a strong third candidate splits one side and the other side wins. T Roosevelt elected Wilson.

Krugman reads to me like he's slowly coming around to embracing the Thomas Friedman school of journalism approach, in that his thesis often hinges on an anecdotal 'could be' and is heavily massaged to play well to the fear-addicted. A few of his supporting examples (voting legislation, for example) are long established political hijinks. And as most of the editorial press, he misses the larger point entirely that much of what we're seeing now in America is due to a raging influx of emboldened stupid (democratization of information) on one hand and apathy (existential fail overload) on the other.

as an example of conveniently-avoided statistics in the "white nationalism" theory:

60% of the USA is white
99% of poland is white

it raises all kinds of questions and not only when attempting to compare the two.

The excellent ContraPoints is well worth the effort on issues like how the Left responds to fascists like Trump, white nationalism, the problems of capitalism, etc. I enjoy her talks very much.

She also has great talks on Incels and forum favourite Jordan Peterson and obviously on gender issues.

Reactions: vuk
I hope that is right, but looking at the EDL, Britain First marches on the streets in the UK, the fascists currently rioting in Germany, the white supremacist shit in Charlottesville etc they look unemployed/unemployable to lower-working class level, and the anti-fascists protesting against them look far more normal/middle class/wealthy/educated. I accept that is only the thug element of fascism prepared to take to the streets and there may be a lot more (arguably even more cowardly) people holding similarly repugnant views quietly well away from view.
The gang of fascists that invaded the left wing bookshop in London was led by Luke Nash Jones, a nice middle class boy. He studied software engineering at Birkbeck and everything.

The gang of fascists that invaded the left wing bookshop in London was led by Luke Nash Jones, a nice middle class boy. He studied software engineering at Birkbeck and everything.

Good point, though wasn’t that more a Breitbart/social media stunt? I bet had the shop owner pulled a baseball bat out or even just punched one of the idiots they’d have all legged it. They didn’t look in the slightest bit dangerous.

as an example of conveniently-avoided statistics in the "white nationalism" theory:

60% of the USA is white
99% of poland is white

it raises all kinds of questions and not only when attempting to compare the two.

The american south is a special kind of hell. From subsistence farming to city factories to the armed forces, they've been hosed like the Hindenburg. And so I think as a rule they don't trust anyone not from the same town, never mind a different race or nationality. And they generally hate politicians, at least their daddy and his daddy did. But for reasons foreign to me (other than inbreeding) they swallow the rankest lies if it means getting worked to a lather.

I have to wonder if we could neuter Trump by providing nothing but 100% unequivocally positive news coverage. The rest of us would be in on the ruse while he'd be so enthralled by the fawning coverage that he wouldn't ever leave the toilet, apart from needing to plug in his phone from time to time.

Joe

I have to wonder if we could neuter Trump by providing nothing but 100% unequivocally positive news coverage. The rest of us would be in on the ruse while he'd be so enthralled by the fawning coverage that he wouldn't ever leave the toilet, apart from needing to plug in his phone from time to time.

Joe
Even the hair is sort of right...

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back