advertisement

Trump Part 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trump appears concerned by a possible ‘perjury trap’

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45254374
He was echoing previous concerns by his lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, who said Mr Trump could be "trapped into perjury".

"So if I say something and he (Comey) says something, and it's my word against his, and he's best friends with Mueller, so Mueller might say: 'Well, I believe Comey,' and even if I'm telling the truth, that makes me a liar. That's no good," President Trump said.

No, Donald, what makes you a liar is the constant stream of lies emanating from your own mouth and tweets, not to mention from your staff on your behalf.

And one of the charges will be a campaign finance violation which will, probably, name a "Person A" co-conspirator which everyone will know is basically Trump.

And the Manafort verdict is in on guilty on 8 counts. Deadlocked and mistrial on 10.

Michael Cohen plea deal in SDNY. Trump is (probably) cooked.

If I understand it correctly Cohen cannot be pardoned for state crimes so at a minimum he's facing lengthy time in state prison. Also most of the material raided from Cohen's office has been found to not be covered by attorney client privilege and can be used by Mueller's team, so they no longer need to make a special deal with Cohen for information.

From the start I've felt that Manafort is keeping quiet and hoping for a pardon. I wonder if the balance starts to tip against Trump (particularly if the mid terms tip the house to the dems) if Manafort might start to get scared and try to reach a deal with Mueller in return for yet more damaging information on Trump (and likely other top republicans).

I sincerely hope today was a tipping point, but i'm still concerned that trump is untouchable until the GOP decides it will impeach him, and that will never happen.

I see Michael Avenetti (lawyer to Stormy McStormface) has tweeted that he now will seek to question Trump under oath regarding what Trump knew and when on the Stormy payment.

Cohen looking at 3 to 5 years but we don't know what he has agreed to in terms of co-operation. But he plead guilty to the two payoffs and effectively named Trump as a co-conspirator in those crimes.

Manafort looking at decades in jail even with half the counts resulting in mistrials.

All together this does feel like a turning point.

Trump on his way to a rally tonight btw. Should be bonkers.

Cohen looking at 3 to 5 years but we don't know what he has agreed to in terms of co-operation. But he plead guilty to the two payoffs and effectively named Trump as a co-conspirator in those crimes.

Manafort looking at decades in jail even with half the counts resulting in mistrials.

All together this does feel like a turning point.

Trump on his way to a rally tonight btw. Should be bonkers.

The max for each count is 30 years, but they would be served concurrently. I heard that the sentencing guideline for Manafort will be 11-14 years, and could easily be less, 7-9 years. Still a lot of time for a 68 year old. Of course, this is only the first of two trials. The second trial begins in DC next month.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2018/aug/21/michael-cohen-latest-live-news-updates-trump-lawyer-plea-deal-charges

"Cohen stood and plead guilty to charges, including that in October 2016, he, in coordination with “the candidate” arranged to make a payment to an “individual with information that would be harmful to the candidate and to the campaign.”

Cohen said he used a company that was under his control to make the payment of $130,000 and those monies were later repaid to me by the candidate and that this was done “for the principal purpose of influencing the election.” "

Right there, an allegation entered in a plea, in Court. The centre of gravity just shifted somewhat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back