advertisement

Truly great albums with no duff moments

A very thought provoking OP. Lots of great albums mentioned in this thread, but few IMO have 100% great tracks. I think the artist that gets closest most often for me is Bowie ... and I think Aladdin Sane is closest to perfection. I would have to listen again to Marianne Faithfull's Broken English but I think this gets close too. For me not a single Beatles, Cohen, Dylan, Beach Boys, Abba, Mitchell (plus many others) ... achieves perfection, but many are truly great.

Thanks to the OP for starting a very interesting thread.

Nic P

King Crimson - Red (pretty much as perfect as an album can get)

Pink Floyd - The Wall (the greatest album ever made)

Van der Graaf Generator - Godbluff

Yes - Close to the Edge

Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick

With you all the way on the above (almost), but isn't Godbluff the weakest of the Rockfield trilogy? Still Life and World Record both have their noses in front, leading by a short head...

Mind you, I think there's a good case to be made for Maida Vale ...

With you all the way on the above (almost), but isn't Godbluff the weakest of the Rockfield trilogy? Still Life and World Record both have their noses in front, leading by a short head...

Mind you, I think there's a good case to be made for Maida Vale ...

Maida Vale is a compilation so a bit of a cheat :D

God Bluff is succinct, sharp, perfect. No wasted moments. Still Life is great but "Childlike Faith" is too long and overwrought and "World Record" has "Meurglys III" which suggests they had 60% of an album and needed to pad it out - quite unusual for a VdGG album.

I know "best of" albums are cheating ... but many of them don't get a perfect 10 out of 10. Bob Dylan "The best of the original mono recordings" gets 15 out of 15 plus a 10+ for the SQ. If I had to own a single CD - this is it.

Nic P

ironically, i find most "best of" albums not to represent the artist's best work. they tend to be more of a "what will sell the most" album.

I know "best of" albums are cheating ... but many of them don't get a perfect 10 out of 10. Bob Dylan "The best of the original mono recordings" gets 15 out of 15 plus a 10+ for the SQ. If I had to own a single CD - this is it.

Nic P

Perhaps this should be a new thread, best of albums that truly are best of.....

Interesting to see this topic covered on the BBC 4 Danny Baker series about Albums. He stated that there are very few albums without some wayward moments. His guests agreed. My original choice of Ziggy was mentioned as one of the few perfect albums. One guy (the Smiths producer) even said it was deliberate to throw the rest of the album into stark relief !

Did Benny the Bouncer really make the rest of Brain Salad Surgery sound better?

Exodus - BMW
Real Folk Blues - John Lee Hooker
Boxer - The National
HooDoo Man Blues - Junior Wells
Parsley Sage Rosemary Thyme - S&G
Bridge Over Troubled Water - S&G

advertisement

Back