advertisement

Trouble with Nord

Article 50 TEU generally applies but there is absolutely no guarantee of a 6 year warranty. After 6 months ownership the purchaser has to prove the goods faulty or there is a manufacturing issue.

As you're giving legal advice, presumably you're legally qualified. Perhaps you might like to direct us to the Act, and the section of the Act that states that all items sold in England and Wales bear a six year warranty, rather than directing us to a newspaper article.
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citize...uarantees-returns/united-kingdom/index_en.htm

Legal guarantee
How long is the legal guarantee for new and second-hand goods?
The duration is 6 years in England, Wales and Northern Ireland and 5 years in Scotland. This applies to new and second-hand goods.This is the maximum time limit, however any claim needs to take into account the nature of the goods and possible wear and tear, for example.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citize...uarantees-returns/united-kingdom/index_en.htm

Legal guarantee
How long is the legal guarantee for new and second-hand goods?
The duration is 6 years in England, Wales and Northern Ireland and 5 years in Scotland. This applies to new and second-hand goods.This is the maximum time limit, however any claim needs to take into account the nature of the goods and possible wear and tear, for example.
The key words are "the nature of the goods". It doesn't apply across the board.

Hi,

I have Nord one UP nc500s and I was hoping to come to this forum to get some advice about fitting the other set of OPamps I was given with the amps to try out.

However, today, after turning the Nord amps off to re-route my cables, only one turned back on again.

When I try to turn it on, there is a very faint electrical connection buzz but nothing happens. The light doesn't come on and the button doesn't stay depressed.

Can anyone advise?

cc @boggit

model: up si nc500mb
serial number: 1116 7/16

Thanks, Tom

Maybe try getting in touch with Colin tomorrow for help on the defective unit. Regarding the other Op-amps, which ones have you been using and what make/type are the others?

as an owner of a Nord One SE NC500DM MKII Dual Mono, I read with interest then became a little worried and now happy again :)

mine has been faultless and easily the best monobloc I have owned to date

Just joined here to reply to this thread, as my One-up Nord NC500 power supplies both went a few months ago. (I have 2 ) both 4 years old. Instead of replacing the SMPS1200's, as I didn't know the issue, the repair shop I took them to replaced some faulty caps in the power supply. So one amp now has Nichicon caps in it. Paid them more in labour than the price of a new board I think, but whatever, it's working now.

Going forward I suppose a SMPS1200 has a lifespan of 4 years?

gosh , some bel canto class D amps are now about 20 years old and still going . you can see them for sale again and again . i would be worried if something only lasted 4 years !!!!
Me too....the comments about repairing them generally are interesting..if my trusty old quad 909 packs up ( and it won't ) I'll just buy another quad..

gosh , some bel canto class D amps are now about 20 years old and still going . you can see them for sale again and again . i would be worried if something only lasted 4 years !!!!

I imagine anything made for a company like Bel Canto would be top drawer and rigorously tested before being put into any of their products.

Just joined here to reply to this thread, as my One-up Nord NC500 power supplies both went a few months ago. (I have 2 ) both 4 years old. Instead of replacing the SMPS1200's, as I didn't know the issue, the repair shop I took them to replaced some faulty caps in the power supply. So one amp now has Nichicon caps in it. Paid them more in labour than the price of a new board I think, but whatever, it's working now.

Going forward I suppose a SMPS1200 has a lifespan of 4 years?

I think it will depend a bit on implementation. My understanding is that it's mainly temperature that does for the caps. Hypex packagers that have paid more attention to cooling strategy might be expected to do better than those that just bung the module in a box without considering that aspect. The one I have uses the whole enclosure as a heatsink, so it gets very warm in use, but presumably the caps are being kept within their operating range more effectively. I'm not sure how good Nord's box design is for cooling.

I think it will depend a bit on implementation. My understanding is that it's mainly temperature that does for the caps. Hypex packagers that have paid more attention to cooling strategy might be expected to do better than those that just bung the module in a box without considering that aspect. The one I have uses the whole enclosure as a heatsink, so it gets very warm in use, but presumably the caps are being kept within their operating range more effectively. I'm not sure how good Nord's box design is for cooling.

Well I can't seem to post an image of the innerds here, maybe I don't have enough posts....

I am increasingly enjoying this thread. I know nothing about Nord but am glad the problems have been resolved.

This has coincided with my big class AB power amp going in for repair and I have replaced it with the only other amp I have which is a tiny NAD 7050, all digital and only 50 watts. It is driving KEF References and doing a very good job which makes me think about trying a class D.

I was looking at a NAD M22 but the Nord looks interesting too and looks a lot cheaper.

Do these amps work with a valve pre and is reliability an ongoing issue? Anyone tried the NAD or can compare?

Yes loads of people use valve pre amps with class d or nord class d. Very effective combo .I use an analogue ss pre with class d monoblocks to great enjoyment

I have some NC500 based amps made by Acoustic Imagery (now defunct). They sound great, but the weak point is the SMPS1200 power supply. I had the power supply boards replaced under warranty in four out of the five I originally owned. The inrush current limiting thermistor literally exploded in all four.

The SMPS1200 runs very hot and I think that this is a core weakness in all of these amps and I'm not surprised that they suffer from early cap failures too. Having said this, I still have two of these amps (they are mono blocks) in good working order and two I sold on after being repaired are still working. The fifth, you guessed it, suffered from an exploding inrush current limiting thermistor, but outside the warranty period.

In fairness to Nord, their cooling arrangement seems better than that in the amps I have.

advertisement

Back