advertisement

TRON

FUTted Quads owner here.

I have owned the Tron Comet (upgraded to Syren boards inside) for many years, longer in fact than any component I have ever owned with the exception of the LP12. Simply excellent. Whether it works well in combination with Naim power amps is worthy of debate; I'm a firm believer in synergy between components and I simply don't believe Naim power amps work synergistically with anything other than Naim preamps, although the combination still isn't to my taste.

I replaced a Jeff Rowland Coherence II with the original Comet and haven't looked back since.

.............and I simply don't believe Naim power amps work synergistically with anything other than Naim preamps.......

Possibly not, though others seem to have disagreed in the past, and there was similar comment on a recent thread about this combination.

Conversely, however, (some, many or all) Naim PRE-AMP'S DO interface well with (some or many) valved amp's.

Maybe that's the easier way round to combine s/s and thermiomics in amplification.

I see no reason why any preamp shouldn't work with any power amp so long as the impedance is not an issue.

Blending characteristics and kit is all part of building a synergistic system. I did not expect to have the results I have with a DM fed from a BR player into a naim pre for example

I expect naim to match with naim, but I see no reason why they can't work as well or better in other combinations ;)

I have heard that the early (very promising) TRON DAC will be in final production for 2011 ;)

The pre production unit I heard had that earthy, ballsy, honest musicality that is missing form most if not all modern digital kit :D

I have heard that the early (very promising) TRON DAC will be in final production for 2011 ;)

The pre production unit I heard had that earthy, ballsy, honest musicality that is missing form most if not all modern digital kit :D

Sounds excellent. I haven't heard the DAC yet, but that looks very promising.

I presume these Tron thingies are highly expensive designer boutique gear?

Avole,

These TRON thingies are expensive, but cheaper than say an equivalent Naim product. For instance the TRON Seven preamp is about £3-4k depending on spec (compared to £3.5k-4.8k for a Naim 252) and the Syren preamp is £7-8k (compared to the Naim 552 @ £15.5k).
Yes, it's designer, in the sense that GT is one of the world's most respected valve amp designers. Every TRON amplifier is hand built by GT himself (ie the designer) and no-one else. The volumes are small, so yes they're boutique items. But the quality is something else - high spec custom built components (no off the shelf stuff here), bespoke PCBs, hand wound transformers with exotic cores etc.
Does that help?

Charlie

Yes, thanks, I'd never heard of them. Rather out of my league, I'm afraid.

advertisement

Back