advertisement

Trip To London

Martin D

Libertarian Division
Hi PFM photo Team

Find myself + wife in thatLondon Friday. Any photographic biased places to see? National Portrait Gallery is one and I'm off to the Rothko at Tate Modern (not photo I admit) for a bit but any pointer is welcome, although acres of Man Ray stylee will no doubt have the wife asleep!

Thanks in advance

Martin

PS can you be killed to death for taking pictures around Canary Wharf ? Don't want 7 in the head and all that.

Hi PFM photo Team

Find myself + wife in thatLondon Friday. Any photographic biased places to see? National Portrait Gallery is one and I'm off to the Rothko at Tate Modern (not photo I admit) for a bit but any pointer is welcome, although acres of Man Ray stylee will no doubt have the wife asleep!

Thanks in advance

Martin

PS can you be killed to death for taking pictures around Canary Wharf ? Don't want 7 in the head and all that.
Don't take too many pics around Millbank or the spooks will tap you on the shoulder...or shoot you first!

Don't take too many pics around Millbank or the spooks will tap you on the shoulder...or shoot you first!

i've never ever had any problems taking pictures anywhere in london. admittedly i don't really look suspicious (except for the hoodie) but unless you're using ridiculously long lenses, carrying four cameras and wearing a turban, you'll be fine.

i've never ever had any problems taking pictures anywhere in london. admittedly i don't really look suspicious (except for the hoodie) but unless you're using ridiculously long lenses, carrying four cameras and wearing a turban, you'll be fine.
That's my problem then. 400mm Canon L looks a bit dodgy, no turban or hoody though. Mind you, I did have a practice play with a Hechler and Koch recently, complete with laser sight! Maybe I ought to be more careful.

Go to The Natural History Museum to see the Shell Wildlife Photographer of the Year pictures. I went in 2008 and was blown away by the images! I believe it's on until April. Cheap to get in too.

Hi Martin, I have been stopped by security guards in Canary Wharf carrying a Nikon D3X and a 24-70 lens. Apparently if they think you're a commercial photographer you need a permit as it is a private estate. If you want a permit, ring Susie Koprowski on +44 (0) 207 418 2000 extension 5055. In practice I'm sure you can just say "I am a tourist, not a professional" provided you have only a small camera

As for other places to photograph, anywhere by the Thames at dusk is good, and some public galleries allow photography - eg the British Museum and the V&A, but I don't think you can photograph in the National Gallery

cheers
Cliff

advertisement

Back