advertisement

Trip Hop - Unkle, Tricky, Portishead, Allflaws

A curious time in music, the Mo Wax label was very retro influenced, a lot of 60s/70s film music samples in there, DJ shadows 'Endtroducing' must be the stand out record. Looking back alot of it sounds a bit tame now compared to the fierce techno coming out of Europe and the US at the time. Me and my mates were fans though back in the day. My faves were DJ Krush, as someone else mentioned the Dr Octagon remix LP from '96, and Palm skin productions, whoever they were! There were also other labels putting out the trip hop sound, 'cup of tea' records from Bristol is rather indicative of the genres attitude...........

A curious time in music, the Mo Wax label was very retro influenced, a lot of 60s/70s film music samples in there, DJ shadows 'Endtroducing' must be the stand out record. Looking back alot of it sounds a bit tame now compared to the fierce techno coming out of Europe and the US at the time. Me and my mates were fans though back in the day. My faves were DJ Krush, as someone else mentioned the Dr Octagon remix LP from '96, and Palm skin productions, whoever they were! There were also other labels putting out the trip hop sound, 'cup of tea' records from Bristol is rather indicative of the genres attitude...........

Yes these artists are true pioneers. Really love their stuff. Plus will check out cup of tea records. Anything from Bristol is always worth a listen.

We got to five pages of posts, with nobody mentioning a French act? A travesty (and no, I'm not French).

First, one of the earliest trip-hoppers, DJ Cam:

Wax Tailor:

Degiheugi:

..if you like to venture a little off the beaten track, try Onra:

... and if you want your head messed with, he has another album, "Nobody Has To Know", which is what you get when you sample your loops from cheesy 1980's synth-rock instead of 1950s Jazz and Motown soul.

^^^^ I will skip the 60's ham jazz of DJ Cam, but the others, I shall investigate further.

The hassle is getting to be the time this thread takes to load because of the numbers of links to YouTube...……………..

Some great music though :)

We got to five pages of posts, with nobody mentioning a French act? A travesty (and no, I'm not French).

First, one of the earliest trip-hoppers, DJ Cam:

Wax Tailor:

Degiheugi:

..if you like to venture a little off the beaten track, try Onra:

... and if you want your head messed with, he has another album, "Nobody Has To Know", which is what you get when you sample your loops from cheesy 1980's synth-rock instead of 1950s Jazz and Motown soul.
Thanks for these. I'm really liking them. DJ Cam is great. I have found more tracks from him, and I can see why you are shocked that he hasn't been mentioned. He really is a significant artist in the development of trip hop.

Thanks for these. I'm really liking them. DJ Cam is great. I have found more tracks from him, and I can see why you are shocked that he hasn't been mentioned. He really is a significant artist in the development of trip hop.
Yep, the album "Mad Blunted Jazz" from 1996 is actually a re-release of a French-market release from 1995, so it predates Shadow's "Entroducing" by nearly a year. Like Shadow, he suffers from the effect of over twenty years of not-quite-as-good imitators since then, but I remember back in the late 1990s when I started hearing this stuff at parties, everyone talked about "DJ Cam and DJ Shadow" so often that I thought they were a duo.

French hip-hop is also a thing that's a million times better than the words "French" and "hip-hop" would make you think.

Yep, the album "Mad Blunted Jazz" from 1996 is actually a re-release of a French-market release from 1995, so it predates Shadow's "Entroducing" by nearly a year. Like Shadow, he suffers from the effect of over twenty years of not-quite-as-good imitators since then, but I remember back in the late 1990s when I started hearing this stuff at parties, everyone talked about "DJ Cam and DJ Shadow" so often that I thought they were a duo.

French hip-hop is also a thing that's a million times better than the words "French" and "hip-hop" would make you think.
Yes this was a great time for music. A real golden age and so many pioneers for music came out at that time. It's No surprise that DJ Cam was around then.

advertisement

Back