advertisement

Triangle Duetto speakers: anyone own/heard?

Borrowed a pair to try. They are beautiful things but initially I didn’t get on with the high frequencies- just a bit much. But after eight hours of playback they’re balancing out nicely*. More tomorrow once I have a chance to listen more...

* strange that this should happen. Maybe they needed to settle or warm-up or something?

I’ve had loads of Triangles over the years working my way up the range. The lower models can be a bit spitty up top but not with the Magellan range.. they are superbly open, with a sweet top end and brilliant punch and drive.
My biggest hifi regret was selling my Quatuors for some 800 D2’s...

My Triangles, I have 2 pairs, Titus TZX stand mounts and Heliade ES floor standers, are a couple levels below the Magellan Duettos, but the Heliades seem to have a similar tweeter, and yes, the HF was a bit much at first , but that was tamed pretty quickly, and it's not me getting used to them, I had some very bright Monitor Audio Br2 that just stayed brighter than a bright thing for the whole time I owned them, and they were just tiring to listen to.

I'd love to move up to some Magellans!

Sonics aside - and based on what I heard later last night, they do seem to be very good - one of the biggest plus-points of these speakers is that they are extremely well-made and finished, not too large and fairly easy to place. I don't just want to plump for the first fancy speakers I try, but they're a very good start and I think they may well be capable of approaching - if not necessarily bettering - those things that I value in the ESL57s. Surprisingly, they don't sound perceptibly slower, though I'm not (yet) getting that holographic quality from them. Initially, I wasn't at all taken with them, with their over-eager (though very grain free and detailed) treble response, but that has definitely toned down for some reason. I hope to get some more quality time with them tonight, and maybe I can play with placement and toe-in a bit then, and I always have the possibility to roll a NOS Mullard into the ECC82 or ECC83 section of my amp if I want to go for a soupçon of additional valve warmth to take any remaining edge off that treble. Such are the positives of valve amps :)

Update: the treble never quite settled down enough for my liking, and I decided to do a direct comparison with my Adam actives (which I still have). Bottom line is that the Adams are - in my room - the better choice: a more natural treble balance with better-controlled bass. So I may just replace my ESLs with my old Adams and be done :)

I’ll dive behind the sofa after I say this but what speaker cable are you using? I found them very sensitive to the cable....also which amp?

They really aren’t bright at all when set up right and the bass not being controlled doesn’t sound right as they have unbelievably fast and punchy bass...

Never said that the bass wasn’t controlled, only that my active speakers are more controlled in this room. Amp is push:pull valve, dealer sells both so advised a very good match. Speaker cables, not sure what they’re called, it could be a factor (as the actives use XLRs and also sidestep amp synergy issues).

All that being said, there was nothing at all wrong with the quality of the Duetto’s treble, just that I found there to be a bit too much of it. I daresay changing a couple of valves would have helped, but without doing any of that I preferred the (admittedly superb) Adam actives, which just sounded fantastic in the new room...

I’ll dive behind the sofa after I say this but what speaker cable are you using? I found them very sensitive to the cable....also which amp?

They really aren’t bright at all when set up right and the bass not being controlled doesn’t sound right as they have unbelievably fast and punchy bass...

Hello! I have a pair of these arriving next week. Can you tell what set up you have with them? I'll be running a SimAudio amp and Cardas speaker cables. Thanks

Hi John
I haven’t had them in years (biggest mistake of my HiFi life) I changed them to B&W 800’s. I think your system sounds good for them. The biggest thing I found with them is despite the fact that they are sensitive...they love lots of power, the more the better....good luck!

This was about three years ago; all changed since then! They were very good speakers, just not quite right for me. I’m with 15” Tannoys and class A amp now, so very difficult to be objective about a speaker I home-demmed three years ago, beyond that I did find them a bit ‘hot’ compared to the actives I had, to ESL57s, and to my Tannoys.

advertisement

Back