advertisement

Trentemøller

DS, I'm pleased to know we share similar tastes.

I do also collect more vocal stuff too, disco/boogie edits, garage, etc. but my main passion is proper deep house.

Greg,

Yes, makes a change from Dad Rock is it.

Of the things you mention upthread, I have a passion for all of those, esp MVO, BC, BK, MD, OGT, SD and all that. I missed the SD album on vinyl, after all the false starts and dates, I didn't go to the shop on the day of release, then it was £80, then £120, D/L it and then got it on CD there. Got a lot of other SD releases on 12"

New hot is Blackest Ever Black, Raime and all that, Ancient Methods, all of those there Minimal Cold Wave Techno.

DS

Thanks, I found some shop in Denmark that has it listed on CD (link), so I've ordered it there, though I suspect it will prove out of stock / unavailable. I don't pay for downloads on principle, so if I can't buy it properly as a hard copy I'll just wait until I can.

Tony.

Tony, I'm curious what are the principles on which you don't pay for downloads? They aren't my preference either - I certainly resent being asked to pay a 'wav supplement' for what should be standard but is presented as some kind of luxury (in the case of Beatport). At the same time, obviously a lot of small labels and artists only release music as download, so if there is a principle on which there is something ethically wrong with downloads, then does that mean that these people's income streams are also then somehow wrong?

I'm imagining you probably just prefer a physical product, as do I, but with your reference to principle, I'm curious if you have some insight into the download market that I am unaware of?

Tony, I'm curious what are the principles on which you don't pay for downloads?

I refuse to pay good money not to own something. I'm also a second hand record / CD dealer, I make (part of) my living out of reselling music - I started buying and selling music in my early teens, so paying good money for a non-transferable file when a proper CD exists just feels entirely wrong to me. I'm sure given sufficient time I'll find a copy of the CD, so why waste a tenner in the meantime? It's on Spotify anyway. I realise that I pay for software applications etc, so my view may look a little odd, but there has never been a collectors market in computer apps, so it's a different thing really.

Tony.

I don't know about non-transferable files. That sounds like an i-tunes kind of thing? I've heard something along those lines about Apple-related downloads, but I've never used anything like I-tunes or any of the front-line download stores. I buy quite a few album releases from Bandcamp, for example, and it's just a load of FLAC files that I can do whatever I want with - burn a limitless number of CDs, or copy onto a limitless number of hard-drives. I certainly wouldn't ever pay for something non-transferable - the whole concept seems highly suspect. It's not something I've ever actually encountered though. I'm surprised people accept that, or that it's even legal.

Tony, I'm curious what are the principles on which you don't pay for downloads? They aren't my preference either - I certainly resent being asked to pay a 'wav supplement' for what should be standard but is presented as some kind of luxury (in the case of Beatport). At the same time, obviously a lot of small labels and artists only release music as download, so if there is a principle on which there is something ethically wrong with downloads, then does that mean that these people's income streams are also then somehow wrong?

I'm imagining you probably just prefer a physical product, as do I, but with your reference to principle, I'm curious if you have some insight into the download market that I am unaware of?
Youre paying a premium for WAV due to the larger file transfer, bandwidth and file serving being their principle costs, though whether double is reasonable.

Juno charge considerably less though, so clearly there is an inflated margin in there.

At £0.99 a track feels like reasonable value. At £1.99 (for a WAV) if I contemplate buying more than one track off an EP I feel far more inclined to by the 12" (if available).

I just can't shake my long term love of collecting vinyl and in fact by far fewer tracks on digital than a couple of years ago (and far far too many on vinyl)

Also, a lot of US import 12" singles are now £10 in the shop is it, so not a suitable case for grab an armful check them later method of selection there.

DS

Agree, the US import prices these days are somewhat painful, especially those labels/artists that add a "special" premium (which are annoyingly the artists I most eagerly collect). I tend to buy based on online audio files, but I've definitely missed a few great discs due depending upon the 60-90 seconds the online shop opted to sample.

On the other hand I just don't have the time to spend hours in record shops any more, so apart from my pal who works in Honest Jons who picks stuff out for me, the rest of my purchases are ad hoc "add to cart" during the week followed by a serious weeding out session on a Friday or Saturday night and order placed (then adding a few I changed my mind on and ordering a second time on Sunday :-|.

On the whole I think I do prefer the convenience of online buying.

Much more physical for me still!

I spoke to the bloke in Honest Jon's about the scarcity of the UQ vinyl and that sort of label, and he remarked that the techno / house buyer there had a lot of trouble getting any, or more than a handful of each release is it.

It does come down to snaffling them whilst you can there.

Although there have been a few re-presses on Levon Vincent stuff, like "Double Jointed Sex Freak" that I got last week. (Sounds like a release suitable for that Fox there)

DS

I'm really going off collecting techno / house / dubstep vinyl. Everything seems to be in daft 4 copies for the world type runs, so if you don't buy it then and there you'll never get a copy. I don't have the spare cash to be grabbing arm-fulls of 12s at around ten bucks a go, and I have other music habits to feed other than dance music. There seems to be a certain degree of up it's arse-ness about it all.

I agree to an extent there, the whole SD album hunt, a bit snide is it, several of the RSAs I talk to had sidelined several copies to Discogs and E-Bay there.

But no-one holds a puppy hostage and makes a body buy it at the asking price there.

However, I have pre-ordered the O/V/R - Post Traumatic Son Part 4 remixes by M. Dettmann, with the special cover to house the other three parts too. So I have been led astray probably.

DS

I'm really going off collecting techno / house / dubstep vinyl. Everything seems to be in daft 4 copies for the world type runs, so if you don't buy it then and there you'll never get a copy. I don't have the spare cash to be grabbing arm-fulls of 12s at around ten bucks a go, and I have other music habits to feed other than dance music. There seems to be a certain degree of up it's arse-ness about it all.
It is becoming increasingly annoying. I don't get too trainspotterish about it really, but here and there are labels or artists where I find it very hard to forget about.

Take Theo Parrish's Sketches on vinyl. Officially you could only physically get it from DEMF in person. Then a couple of online shops had it listed, but of course out of stock instantly. Within a week it was on Discogs listed for £600.

I bought the CD :)

Similar for his Ugly Edits series. First editions were hand sharpied white labels, hand distributed only. The second editions were spray painted labels, and then someone bootlegged them.

The trouble is some of this stuff eats me up if I can't own it.

Having said the above, my pal who collects rare roots/dub and soul pays ridiculous money for some of his vinyl. The cost of some of his sets make me wince, especially when he takes boxes of vinyl to play out around London. At carnival I expected him to get robbed at gun point.

Many thanks to all the contributors here for introducing me to Trentemøller.
I received my copy of The Last Resort yesterday & it's excellent.
What next? Curse the temptation that is pfm! :-D

I put an ø in the thread's title.

It løøks way cøøler.

Jøe

More chilled out, but at this moment I'm listening to 'Tokyo' by Marconi Union which I think would appeal to anyone who liked The Last Resort. Gorgeous.

Yeah they're a quality outfit. We've had all of their albums on here in rotation for quite a while. I was aware of them for ages, but from descriptions I thought they'd be a bit boring. How wrong I was!

advertisement

Back