advertisement

Trashed cartridge. Options?

Goldring might be able to do the job but you would have to enquire and I very much doubt it would be the "basic" £300 fee. The difference between a Linn Asaka/Karma/Troika "standard" rebuild (complete rebuild admittedly) which is aluminium cantilever and ogura fine line diamond was £400 + VAT + shipping, for a ruby cantilever and gyger s diamond was £650 + VAT + shipping when I enquired. Assuming Goldring can get an appropriate cantilever and stylus to make it like it was it will not be £300 I suggest.

Dynavector do rebuild their top end cartidges, not sure where this starts in terms of the 17D3. They certainly give money off a new one for handing in the old so if you really liked what the 17D3 does then keep hold of it and you can use it to trade in if they will not rebuld it.

EDIT: Just checked, it is exchange on the 17D3 which is now 17DX and it drops to c.£1000 with the exchange.

Not much help I am afraid but I hope that helps in some way to understanding your options as I see them.

EDIT: Just checked, it is exchange on the 17D3 which is now 17DX and it drops to c.£1000 with the exchange.

A possible suggestion for your insurance company. They'll be happy to supposedly save a bit of pay-out money using your trashed cart. but may well let you organise it

Have it sorted by expert stylus company , they repaired a linn Krystall I had which was damaged , they replaced the cantilever and tip for I think it was £310 and it came back like new and sounded as it did when I purchased it , I would definitely use them again , fortunately I moved away from linn saving me much money on upgrades and I have a much better sound and put some cash back in my pocket . Yes the Lp12 looked great but It was a delusion that it was better than others out there that are cheaper , I had an awakening thankfully .

Went on a similar Naim journey with a fully loaded LP 12 (Keel etc) with a Troika. Now have a Versalex.

Hi Peter,

You don't mention how you managed to trash it, but sorry to hear you have nonetheless.
Something to bear in mind is that many home insurance policies have a clause that will not allow accidental damage claims to things like cartridges, if it happened whilst you were cleaning them.

I had a mishap with a Troika some years ago. During the very few moments that we left him alone, a young child of a friend of mine whipped the felt mat off the deck and caught the cantilever on the way out. My friend (not an audiophile) said, can you still get them down at the newsagents on a little card? There are only about 50p aren't they? When I told him how much it was likely to cost, he really didn't believe me for quite some time.
Fortunately, I had a new for old policy and a note from my dealer explaining the current model in the Linn range and the price. The insurance paid up, thankfully.
Good luck.
Graham.

I tripped on the edge of a rug and the tt saved me. Sadly, I couldn’t save the cart or the album playing at the time. I think it’s all part of the aging process. Tripping that is. Luckily the wall behind also took some weight or the arm/tt might have been damaged too.
Will contact my insurers.

Peter

Good plan. On a new for old policy what would be a direct replacement? A dealer could advise. Plus or minus on a cash equivalent, of course.
Regards.

Will make an insurance claim once I have confirmed the policy details.
My sincere thanks to everyone who has commented, offered advice and offered cartridges at good prices. I would only consider a used cart from PF members.
Peter

Just received confirmation from Goldring that they cannot repair a Dyna 17D3 for the reasons already stated. So 17D3/2/X owners, be very careful…….unlike me.

Peter

Just received confirmation from Goldring that they cannot repair a Dyna 17D3 for the reasons already stated. So 17D3/2/X owners, be very careful…….unlike me.

Peter

I didn't think they could , hopefully your insurance will come through for you and you'll get a nice new one.

I didn't think they could , hopefully your insurance will come through for you and you'll get a nice new one.

Have confirmed that I have cover for high value items (ie hi-fi) in my policy. Claim goes in tomorrow. Hopefully a nice new one…

I’d like to thank the brilliant members of PFM for their advice, and particularly those who contributed to this particular issue of a damaged/ruined cartridge. The claim for a new Dynavector 17DX was successfully made. It hadn’t even occurred to me to claim.

Not only was the cartridge replaced, but the latest version of their 17 Karat is a superb example of the improvements gained from a steady evolution. The DX really is superb. Greater separation, detail and grip for starters. The treble is notably improved. I know I’m comparing new with used here, but the improvements are immediate and obvious when compared to the 17D3.

Now back to the music and thanks.

Peter

Good result, Peter. It was in the nineties that I claimed for a Roksan Shiraz cart.,(pricey even then), I wish I could remember whether I got money (probably) to invest in a new Orbe/SMEV/Lyra Helikon from the late John Michell in '95 or what, but it didn't seem to affect my premiums; maybe not applicable now though.

For some reason I've never rationalised, most companies include an audio-visual section with accidental damage, regardless of the other contents' cover. I'm sure that most insurance operatives haven't got a clue about cart's (or hifi generally?). This was certainly true in my case.

For some reason I've never rationalised, most companies include an audio-visual section with accidental damage, regardless of the other contents' cover. I'm sure that most insurance operatives haven't got a clue about cart's (or hifi generally?). This was certainly true in my case.

Same here, I claimed on my insurance when my youngest (aged 3) trashed my cartridge, the guy from the insurance company had never heard of or seen anything like it before.

Diamond cantilevers are not exactly cheap nowadays.

Have they ever been? T.b.h., I think they're a relatively recent variation. I know top Koetsus could be had with them at about a £4 premium. Still, like most things, diamonds come in a wide range of quality (esp. styli). Must admit that I don't really know what advantage(s) precious stone cantilevers have over, e.g., boron, which has become much more expensive over recent years.

Whereas ally or boron can be slotted to accept both glued and crimped styli, I can't see how sth like a diamond canti. can be other than just glued (like Benz styli and ESCo re-tips)

I have just trashed the stylus on my cartridge. My Dynavector 17D3 and about 75% through its lifespan.I can’t fund a replacement (£1200?) for some time, so have to consider cheaper options. I have £300-£400
Option 1. Get the cart rebuilt by Goldring. Minimum charge £300.
Option 2. Replace with a cheaper MC cart and buy a new Dynavector later
Option 3. Replace with a decent MM Cart and buy a new Dynavector later
Option 4. Buy a used MC cartridge

Peter
I'd put a new Dyn 10x5 on it for now, wouldn't break the bank and it's a wee cracker of a cart :)

Have they ever been? T.b.h., I think they're a relatively recent variation. I know top Koetsus could be had with them at about a £4 premium. Still, like most things, diamonds come in a wide range of quality (esp. styli). Must admit that I don't really know what advantage(s) precious stone cantilevers have over, e.g., boron, which has become much more expensive over recent years.

Whereas ally or boron can be slotted to accept both glued and crimped styli, I can't see how sth like a diamond canti. can be other than just glued (like Benz styli and ESCo re-tips)
Hi Mike,

I was working for a dealership that carried Dynavector when the Ruby 23R first came out and I do recall that the company made quite a fuss about their jewel cantilevers being 'precision laser drilled' to accept the stylus tip.

I well remember that bit as I had been fascinated with lasers at uni; still am really.

Funny enough, the very first 23R we got in shed its tip almost immediately upon set down on the first record. As I had been the one to install it (on a lovely FR64 tonearm), the shop owner was all set to blame me for its demise, when a quick call to the distributor revealed that there had already been some internal supply chain acknowledgment that these had been problematic. Regardless, Dynavector must have corrected the issue post haste, as the replacement worked well enough that the shop owner absconded with it.

advertisement

Back