advertisement

Transparent image format

richardg

Admonishtrator
I have just wasted an hour trying to get an image that has a white background to have a transparent one. Been on loads of sites that promise to do it quickly but they keep changing the image size or it doesn't work. Gimp or Photoshop look like 3 hours work for me to learn how to do it, I'm at work, I cant afford to spend hours learning software for one simple task. So does anyone know a fast solution where you upload and it donwloads without changing anything other than the white to transparent?

If its not rude you can send it too me and I can take a look but as mentioned it can be difficult if its a complicated picture

Rich,

If it's a object on a solid white background, you can use the magic wand tool in photoshop to select the background, then select inverse, copy and paste into a new canvass with a transparent background and save the new image as a .png or .tif.

original piccie

Jc2mWNt.jpg

after doing what I described

B6vamGZ.png

That took me about 30 seconds to do, but the trick is having the object on a solid white background.

Joe

That's the principle, but if your subject has any white at its edges, then the wand tool reads those as part of the background and cuts them away as well. Fine if you then paste onto white (pointless then to do the job anyway) but bad news if you paste onto any other colour...the missing bits are obvious. It takes time because you then need to go round and manually persuade to magic wand to let go of the bits you didn't want grabbed.The easy solution it to adopt the Joe P method, but shoot your object against a background that has a colour that is not replicated in the subject. Blue behind skin tones is a popular choice. Magic wand then works a treat.

Reactions: vuk
That's the principle, but if your subject has any white at its edges, then the wand tool reads those as part of the background and cuts them away as well. Fine if you then paste onto white (pointless then to do the job anyway) but bad news if you paste onto any other colour...the missing bits are obvious. It takes time because you then need to go round and manually persuade to magic wand to let go of the bits you didn't want grabbed.The easy solution it to adopt the Joe P method, but shoot your object against a background that has a colour that is not replicated in the subject. Blue behind skin tones is a popular choice. Magic wand then works a treat.

i thought green was the popular choice. in the video below, gio monaldo shows how it's done:

If you use photoshop, corel draw or similar you need Gif or PNG either will save with a transparent layer.

Rich,

If it's a object on a solid white background, you can use the magic wand tool in photoshop to select the background, then select inverse, copy and paste into a new canvass with a transparent background and save the new image as a .png or .tif.

original piccie

Jc2mWNt.jpg

after doing what I described

B6vamGZ.png

That took me about 30 seconds to do, but the trick is having the object on a solid white background.

Joe

Thanks Joe, I had photoshop for a couple of weeks but i just could not understand how to work with layers. and there is so much to do it really frustrated me how unintuitive it is.

@richgilb

really? you don't understand the difference between an image and a graphic? this is trump-level stupid. (i am only saying that last bit -- which is true -- because you are so fond of insulting people here all the time)

since these are your company logos, i imagine they were created with some sort of software that would have had a vector representation, which is infinitely scalable. you need to go back to that basic representation and fiddle at the source, NOT try to hack a degraded image export. if you can not do this or don't understand what i am saying, you need to hire a graphic designer to recreate all of it (given the simplicity, it will not cost very much) and get you back on track.

@richgilb

really? you don't understand the difference between an image and a graphic? this is trump-level stupid. (i am only saying that last bit -- which is true -- because you are so fond of insulting people here all the time)

since these are your company logos, i imagine they were created with some sort of software that would have had a vector representation, which is infinitely scalable. you need to go back to that basic representation and fiddle at the source, NOT try to hack a degraded image export. if you can not do this or don't understand what i am saying, you need to hire a graphic designer to recreate all of it (given the simplicity, it will not cost very much) and get you back on track.
I create all our logos.

That is because i am stupid.

advertisement

Back