advertisement

[SWAP] Transfiguration Phoenix MC Cart

shrink

pfm Member
So I have a lovely condition Phoenix. It was recently inspected by hi-fi corner and minimal to no real wear was noted on it, so not high on hours. Fully working with inner and outer box, stylus guard etc etc.

Why am i swapping you say... well in a system of Harbeths, a Whest Phono stage and Hegel amp, the upfront, vibrant, and clean nature of the phoenix, is less my cup of tea for vinyl listening. I'd like something a touch more romantic sounding?

I'm not sure what that really looks like, but I hear good things about Hana ML and the lower end Koetsu's.

Happy to go either way with financial adjustment, if you have something you think will suit me and want to upgrade, i'll take a lower end cart and some cash, likewise if you have something better and are willing to take the part ex, i can make that work.

What have you got?

May I suggest you look into swapping out your phono stage instead? I didn’t enjoy the Whest for the same ‘cool/sterile’ sound you seem to be hearing.

He has a valid point, as I have the Proteus and, apart from it being the finest cart. I've had (K Blk G; K Urushi Verm.;Benz LP Ebony, Lyras Helikon & Da Capo; Karma, Shiraz etc.) its presentation is simply total transparency. One can put a presentational shade to most cart's but not the Proteus, and the Phoenix S isn't a long way down the line. Try valves or less neutral stage, maybe. However, a warmer cart. may balance out the Whest. Swings & roundabouts? Koetsus benefit from heavier mass arms. It's a bump for the ad. anyway.

I have had a Phoenix for the last four years with an Allnic H1201 phono amp and as said above it is very transparent, even handed and neutral. It exceeds in those areas beyond the Cadenza black I had previously.

Change your phono stage that is the issue here not your cartridge. Vida is a good shout and so is something with valves maybe a EAR 834 + SUT. Even maybe a Tricord Diablo if valves worry you. A cartridge that good needs a phono stage as good as a Vida.
I don’t believe it’s the cartridge that’s your problem here.

Im gonna bump this again. A change in circumstances has led me to having to downsize a few things, one of which was my phono stage.

it doesn’t quite have the gain needed for the 0.4mv output of the Phoenix. Rather than worrying about another phono stage, I’d like to look at downsizing to a cart with a slightly higher output.

I’m placing the value of the Phoenix at around £800, which given their final retail price of beyond 2k seems sensible? As ever this one remains clean, perfectly working and with all original packing.

so what do you have? Maybe an AT33PTG with some cash my way?

I’d also consider a straight swap for something relatively comparable but with a bit more output on it.

what do you have?

Can't believe any m/c stage is not up to 0,4 mV, which is on the higher side of average, I'd say (and it depends upon whether that output is at the European (5 cms/sec or American at 3.35 ish cms.sec). B.t.w., is this the original Phoenix or the later S ? The European output figures are 1.6% higher than the American.

I think it’s a combination of average gain from the phono stage, and low input gain on my new integrated, as my dac is also on the quieter side now. It’s fine for the DAC as it’s pumping out line level, but with the phono stage I have to get to more than half way on the volume knob to get decent level.

I know some clearaudio, vdh carts etc are in the 0.6-0.7mv arena, and even 0.5 would provide a little boost to my output.

it’s a standard Phoenix, not the S

I know some clearaudio, vdh carts etc are in the 0.6-0.7mv arena, and even 0.5 would provide a little boost to my output.

Also, the lyras @ 0.55 mV and lower Koetsus @ 0.6 mV. However, hate to bring this up, but I doubt the cart. is the cause here. Have just found the Phoenix's output; 0.4 mV at the American (and mostly Japanese) standard, which means it shunts out nearly 0.6 mV if you compare to European cart's (VdH, e.g.). Anyway, sorry to add to your sale/swap thread, but either I'm deluded or you may swap to some detriment as the Phoenix was a lovely cart (as all Transfig's were).

Last edited:
Also, the lyras @ 0.55 mV and lower Koetsus @ 0.6 mV. However, hate to bring this up, but I doubt the cart. is the cause here. Have just found the Phoenix's output; 0.4 mV at the American (and mostly Japanese) standard, which means it shunts out around 0.6 mV if you compare to European cart's (VdH, e.g.). Anyway, sorry to add to your sale/swap thread, but either I'm deluded or you may swap to some detriment as the Phoenix was a lovely cart (as all Transfig's were).

Can I ask where the transfiguration spirit 3 sits in the brand hierarchy

Also, the lyras @ 0.55 mV and lower Koetsus @ 0.6 mV. However, hate to bring this up, but I doubt the cart. is the cause here. Have just found the Phoenix's output; 0.4 mV at the American (and mostly Japanese) standard, which means it shunts out around 0.6 mV if you compare to European cart's (VdH, e.g.). Anyway, sorry to add to your sale/swap thread, but either I'm deluded or you may swap to some detriment as the Phoenix was a lovely cart (as all Transfig's were).

thanks I appreciate the info! Which may mean I just need a phono pre with more gain!

Hi Shrink,
if you can manage to find a Jolida JD9 mkII phono stage, they have quite a high gain especially if using ECC83 tubes.
Maybe worth a PM to 'open door' over on the WAM as he used to be the sole importer and is renowned for his Jolida upgrades
he has also been the source of the last two that have been offered.
Good luck with your search.

Hi Shrink,
if you can manage to find a Jolida JD9 mkII phono stage, they have quite a high gain especially if using ECC83 tubes.
Maybe worth a PM to 'open door' over on the WAM as he used to be the sole importer and is renowned for his Jolida upgrades
he has also been the source of the last two that have been offered.
Good luck with your search.

thanks, I’d probably be inclined to pick up another whest. My old two.2 had loads of gain

Can I ask where the transfiguration spirit 3 sits in the brand hierarchy

I think (but don't hold me to it) it was the entry point before Aria and Axia came in. The next step up from the Spirit was, I believe, the Temper. I am guessing as the Proteus I have now is my only Transfig. Best cart. I've ever had and that includes 2 Koetsus.

I think (but don't hold me to it) it was the entry point before Aria and Axia came in. The next step up from the Spirit was, I believe, the Temper. I am guessing as the Proteus I have now is my only Transfig. Best cart. I've ever had and that includes 2 Koetsus.

the only long term concern I have over the Phoenix is what to do when it eventually needs serviced, if it even can be!

Join the club, Shrink! I'm hoping that Goldring may take them on; otherwise, it's Europe, I think. ESCo may do re-tips on them, but their Paratrace stylus may not be the best bet. they also glue them on.

advertisement

Back