advertisement

Transfigoration Proteus MC Cart

monty

pfm Member
Hi all.

long shot and hope this post is OK.

Just wondered if anyone has seen a new Transfigoration Proteus for sale in the UK from a reputable dealer?

No longer in production so a big ask.

thanks

It's TransfigUration and I have Proteus, and luvverly it is too! Graham Tricker (G.T.Audio of Tron fame) has one too, and swears by it. I've not seen any mention of one for sale on any of the 3 forums (which includes some dealers) since I bought mine 4 1/2 years ago (didn't realise it had been so long!) That doesn't mean to say that other dealers haven't advertised one though.

I think that any N.O.S. would have been sold off by now, and used may be the only route to acquiring one. Although G.T. says that the new ZXY comes close (there's a recent/current thread here somewhere), it's close; not better. An utterly transparent yet dynamic cart. with a lovely stylus profile tip (never picks up stuff, though my records are RCM cleaned).

Will have to make do with my Phoenix S :)

Oh, what a pitiable situation to be in !!!!!:D The Orpheus, the forerunner of the Proteus, doesn't show up on the used market that much, despite being flavour of the month for a number of years. Think your Phoenix has a fairly healthy output (c.f. the Proteus).

I want to get my Phoenix rebuilt/retipped if possible, but Goldring said they couldn't because of the way they are built. I assume the only option is removing the old diamond and gluing a new diamond on the cantilever (I think Goldring replace the cantilever). Do you think it is worth getting this done?

It's not the diamond that normally wears out, it's normally the suspension that degrades and also dirt and debris gets inside and that really needs cleaning out. Many cartridges are like that in that they can't be rebuilt. I would leave well alone until it needs replacing.

I want to get my Phoenix rebuilt/retipped if possible, but Goldring said they couldn't because of the way they are built

This is not good news, but I can understand the re-build bit, but not the re-tipping bit. Lots of firms simply re-tip (although Goldring does have a v. good rep.) Maybe some m/coils have relatively short suspension lives, but there are many others (Koetsu, Linn etc) which seem to go on forever. Goldring doesn't entertain any cart., I know, but surely there's a refurbisher out there (and maybe in Europe) which would be able to tackle Transfig's, of which there are a heck of a lot around. Maybe the Phoenix (and Orpheus and Proteus have very different innards to the Tempers, Arias, Spirits et al.

advertisement

Back