advertisement

TPR tomfoolery

RichardH

Bodging pleb
A good few years ago, I built a power supply with a heap of Avondale TPRs, with individual 24v supplies then going to a heavily modified 32.5 - one TPR per section - so each phono board gets its own supply, as do the gain boards and the rest.

One of the channels was playing up, so I went poking around. Found the channel was supplying 27V, tried to adjust the trimpot and now it won't do anything but supply 32V. So is this likely to be the trimpot that has gone kaput?

For the moment I have pulled it out of use and doubled up the feed to the offending section. To add insult to injury, it turns out to be a dodgy connection on the cable in to the 32.5, not the TPR at all that was causing the problem.

Which leads me to the next question - would I be better off squeezing all (or at least some) of the TPRs in the 32.5, and just running a couple of 32V feeds to the TPRs in to the preamp, and splitting it out from there? I've not worked out if they'll fit, mind....

...or should I be looking to try out some of the more recent TPRs instead?

Is it worth squeezing them in?, by only a small sonic margin..The latest incarnation REGs will/would be a significant lift over the original TPR's wherever sited.

The only point in squeezing them in was to simplfy the wiring - currently two "SNAICs" - one with 10 cores (IIRC) and one with 5.

I think I'll have to drop Les a line/give him a buzz and find out what the crack is with the latest and greatest. I can probably keep the original TPRs for the lesser circuits, and drop in 4 whizzy ones for the phono and main gain boards. I need to work out exactly what I did as far as which circuits are being fed first though - been a long time since that particular tinker!

Its always better to have the regulation as close as possible to the load so yes put them in the 32.5

Alan

I think I might be able to squeeze some of the original TPR boards into the 32.5, but Les's more recent ones look to be a bit bigger and needing heatsinking, so that might get a bit tricky... as usual it's a tradeoff I suspect....

advertisement

Back