advertisement

Tour of Supercapacitor powered Ciunas devices

Ciunas Audio

Trade: Ciunas Audio
As stated I have moved away from battery power to supercapacitor power for my audio devices & am starting a tour of both the standalone supercap PS (SUPER-PS) & supercap powered audio devices (ISO-HUB, ISO-DAC & ISO-SPDIF).

This thread is solely about these supercapacitor audio devices - please post your interest, questions & eventually your impressions here.

The difference between battery power & supercapacitor power is detailed on my webpage here
Prices & introductory offers will be on my website soon

I use 350Farad Maxwell/Nesscap supercapacitors & the important audible difference between these & other supercapacitor PSes is that the power is direct from the supercapacitors, not from a voltage regulator after the supercapacitors. I discovered this was audibly significant when I first started using battery power internally to power my audio devices. The voltage regulators (yes, even the best LT3045) seem to introduce some stability or dynamic noise issues in their power output which the direct batteries & direct supercapacitors don't.

As I said, this applies to audio devices internally powered in this way - It will be interesting to see any impressions which may be posted here.

We can discuss these matters here if people wish?

I have a list of names submitted already in anticipation of the supercap ISO-DAC tour
Timola
Paul Burke - ISO-DAC
davidjt
Sams
00fiete - ISO-DAC
easton
Robby
Beammeup

Please indicate interest & which device is of interest - ISO-HUB, ISO-DAC, ISO-SPDIF

Last edited:
Thanks Paul - I have edited the first post - if editing remains open for me on this first post I will put selections & any new names there

ISO-DAC please John
OK, the way I wish to do this is for people to copy the list below & add their name and/or device to the list - that way it keeps my list management efforts to a minimum :)

supercap ISO-DAC tour
Timola
Paul Burke - ISO-DAC
davidjt - ISO-DAC
Sams
00fiete - ISO-DAC
easton
Robby
Beammeup

Please indicate interest & which device is of interest - ISO-HUB, ISO-DAC, ISO-SPDIF

ISO-DAC for me please John, but I am also interested in having a go with the ISO-SPDIF as supposedly my current Hugo responds better to coax than USB and I would like to test this out.

supercap ISO-DAC tour
Timola
Paul Burke - ISO-DAC
davidjt - ISO-DAC
SamS- ISO-DAC & ISO-SPDIF (not necessarily at the same time)
00fiete - ISO-DAC
easton
Robby
Beammeup

Thanks
Sam

ISO-DAC for me please John, but I am also interested in having a go with the ISO-SPDIF as supposedly my current Hugo responds better to coax than USB and I would like to test this out.

supercap ISO-DAC tour
Timola
Paul Burke - ISO-DAC
davidjt - ISO-DAC
00fiete - ISO-DAC
easton
Robby ISO DAC
Beammeup

Thanks
Sam
ISO-DAC for me please.

supercap ISO-DAC tour
Timola
Paul Burke - ISO-DAC
davidjt - ISO-DAC
00fiete - ISO-DAC
easton
Robby - ISO-DAC
Beammeup - ISO-DAC & ISO-SPDIF (again not at the same time)

The ISO-SPDIF will be great to use with some old SPDIF only DACs

Thanks.

Hi John

Not sure if you are willing to go into technical detail, just wondering how you maintain charge in the supercaps. I don't imagine you've taken the overly elaborate path taken by Uptone over swapping banks of caps as they deplete and charging the offline bank. Are you floating a regulated voltage across the caps?

Thanks
Mark

Supercap Iso-DAC for me please, or even better a Supercap Iso-Dac with HUB as that would drop my box count from three to 1...

Hi John

Not sure if you are willing to go into technical detail, just wondering how you maintain charge in the supercaps. I don't imagine you've taken the overly elaborate path taken by Uptone over swapping banks of caps as they deplete and charging the offline bank. Are you floating a regulated voltage across the caps?

Thanks
Mark
Sure, Mark
but I'll bring this question & answer over to the supercapacitor PS thread, as I wanted to not confuse the two its already seen in audiomisc posts on the supercap PS thread

supercap ISO-DAC tour
Timola
Paul Burke - ISO-DAC
davidjt - ISO-DAC
00fiete - ISO-DAC
eastone - ISO-DAC (preferably with HUB)
Robby - ISO-DAC

The ISO-SPDIF will be great to use with some old SPDIF only DACs

Thanks.

John,

I gather from the original thread that France has become problematic. As I'm heading back there in a few weeks, better put me at the bottom of the list.
(Back at the end of April.) Thanks.

John,

I gather from the original thread that France has become problematic. As I'm heading back there in a few weeks, better put me at the bottom of the list.
(Back at the end of April.) Thanks.
OK David

supercap ISO-DAC tour
Timola
Paul Burke - ISO-DAC
00fiete - ISO-DAC
easton
Robby - ISO-DAC
davidjt - ISO-DAC

advertisement

Back