Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Tour de France 2020

Discussion in 'off topic' started by andrew d, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

Not to worry, I’m still on the Jurançon and Cognac.

2. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

I'm fond of the pine (?) resin Jurançon - not had it in a long time...

3. Marchbanks

Another day in which the pedalling peloton progressed purposefully through the spaces between France’s decent wine areas. Fortunately Marc Hirschi is from Bern, and according to Hugh Johnson decent wine is made around 20km from there on the shores of the Bielsee and the Thunersee lakes, pretty much equidistant from the city in opposite directions.

I reckon the Bielsee is a tiny bit closer, so we’ll go there. fineswisswine.com informs me that we have a choice of Chasselas (nein danke), Müller-Thürgau (meh), Pinot Noir aka Blauburgunder - stop, that’ll do...

I know someone who knows far more about Swiss wine than I do, so I’m putting a call out to @BTC3 - hello! Your job, should you decide to accept it, is to suggest a decent bottle of Blauburgunder from Bielsee for us. Thanks!

4. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

Sun Web gave us a demonstration of how not to win a stage a few days ago and today they brilliantly demonstrated how to win. Fantastic win.

5. Marchbanks

Today’s stage winner, Daniel Martìnez, was born in Soacha, a suburb of Bogota. There is a Colombian wine industry, but it would appear the only area with any real pretensions is north of Boyaca, 100km distant.

On the other hand, towards the end of today’s route the Tour went by the front gate of what appears to be a decent winemaker...

[​IMG]

...in the village of Châteaugay, north of Clermont-Ferrand. The cyclists wouldn’t have seen the sign, because they came down the hill. I hope the traffic light was in their favour - I bet they would have been annoyed if they had been made to wait for a tractor or somesuch to come through in the opposite direction.

Châteaugay is an AOC under the umbrella designation of Côtes d’Auvergne. Once again, the area has been promoted only recently, being awarded AOC status in 2011. The Hachette guide thinks highly of the Tourlanias Châteaugay, often awarding it two stars (= ‘remarquable’) - including in the most recent edition, as the Tourlanias were proud to point out on their Facebook page -

[​IMG]

It’s 100% Gamay, and reasonably priced (in the 5-8€ bracket.) The production is tiny (1,100 bottles) so the chances of finding one outside of the immediate area must be pretty small. I certainly drew a blank trying to find any for sale online. But if the Hachette Guide can locate one, I’m sure we can too. So that’s my suggestion for the day.

https://www.hachette-vins.com/guide...el-tourlonias-chateaugay-2016-2019/201925801/

(I love the notion of some of these obscure winemakers looking themselves up on Google and wondering why they are on a website full of people arguing about which the best DAC chips, coffee grinders, sports cars, guitar amps and televisions.)

andrew d and Weekender like this.
  6. BTC3

BTC3 pfm Member

@Marchbanks Sorry for the delay! What little knowledge of Swiss wines I have comes from further to the East of the Bielersee, but I have it on good authority that Keller Am See is the one to go for. Smallest vineyard in the area. More details here.

Weekender likes this.
  7. cubastreet

cubastreet Espresso Fiend

The riders used to drink more than the spectators. [​IMG]

8. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

Romain Bardait should not have been allowed to continue after his crash yesterday. He should have been seen by a doctor. Poor judgement there.

sean99 and gavreid like this.
  9. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

TdF eating challenge.

10. sq225917

sq225917 Bit of this, bit of that

Lots of calories in alcohol

11. Marchbanks

That will be just fine. I hope the OP knows which stages are missing, if any. Perhaps @sean99 would like to select a bottle of his favourite absinthe for stage 1? If not I found one yesterday that will appeal to the prog fans.

https://www.absinthe.de/en/absinthe...inthe-brevans/167/absinthe-brevans-h.r.-giger

12. BTC3

BTC3 pfm Member

13. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Did you get the book?

14. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

Yes. It came the other day. Will start it tomorrow. Cheers, gavreid.

gavreid likes this.
  15. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

Tactical masterclass from Sunweb today, leaving Sagan no option but to chase down the breaks in the last few km.

gavreid likes this.
  16. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

7 (kilo)calories per gram. Against 4 for protein and carbs and 9 for fat. Organic acids (acetic, lactic, citric) are all 5 calories per gram, iirc.

Polar explorers to this day take suet with them and add it to their thermos of soup so they get the calories down them, otherwise they just can't eat enough.

17. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

Agree - he had clear concussion - looked drunk when he tried to stand after the crash. Should have been an immediate retirement. Poor chap - I hope he's OK.

@Marchbanks - I wouldn't drink absinthe if you paid me. I might clean my paint brushes with it. Sorry I'm a beer only person.

18. Marchbanks

Hats off to Søren Kragh Andersen, winner of today's stage. He comes from Denmark, Strib to be precise, in the Municipality of Middelfart. (I mention this last fact solely to get @Joe P onside.) Believe it or not, Denmark has a fledgling wine industry. Wine production has only been legal for twenty years, but there are now a number of producers taking advantage of global warming to practise viticulture in these more northerly areas.

One such producer is Skaersøgaard, located in Almind - and happily for us Almind is only about 15km from Strib (and also Middelfart.) So I think they should have the honour of supplying today's bottle. Here it is... I can tell you it is made from Leon Millot, Rondo and Regent grapes and is aged for a year in barriques. If you want to know more, I'll let you practice your possibly slightly rusty Danish. Oh yes, it costs 275 Krone, or a slightly eye-watering £34.

[​IMG]

19. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Marchy,

Honestly, there's no better place name on Earth, afart from Vulcan, Alberta.

Joe

20. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Now I know why the Danes were always so happy to go to English pubs. £34, hmm. I do know that "-gaard" is a common place or family name , it shares a root with English "yard" and it means "the farm or household of". Literally "the yard of" I suppose .