advertisement

Tour de France 2020

Good and bad
Wonder how Yates feels about it, not necessarily what he says

Mixed emotions I guess, he has a Yellow jersey in the record books so he will always have that on his Palmarès but only by default. He looked really embarrassed on the podium and almost shrugged. Hopefully he can put in a killer stage today and legitimise it.

I’m reasonably confident that I watched the 84 Tour on channel 4 but it was some time ago. 86 was brilliant, Hinault not quite playing ball after Lemond let him win in 85.

I found this from 86 but nothing earlier. I've heard Paul Sherwen talk about joining C4 (as a result of C4 wanting to increase its coverage, suggesting that they had been doing short highlights previously) and his relationship with Liggett. I think that happened in 86 too, in parallel with his pro riding career at first.

"Sherwen teamed up with Liggett in 1986, when C4 became the first British broadcaster to offer daily race coverage. " https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/dec/10/paul-sherwen-obituary

The Pete Shelly Tour De France theme music came in 87 apparently

I found this from 86 but nothing earlier. I've heard Paul Sherwen talk about joining C4 (as a result of C4 wanting to increase its coverage, suggesting that they had been doing short highlights previously) and his relationship with Liggett. I think that happened in 86 too, in parallel with his pro riding career at first.

"Sherwen teamed up with Liggett in 1986, when C4 became the first British broadcaster to offer daily race coverage. " https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/dec/10/paul-sherwen-obituary
Cheers. Shame about Sherwen, he was a knowledgable chap and good to listen to. I rang Channel 4 and the lady said 1985 but she didn't seem that sure.

It was only after 1982 that private broadcasters got the right to show highlights and occasional live action... I remember it being shown in 84 when Robert Millar won some mountain stages... not sure which channel tbh?

It was only after 1982 that private broadcasters got the right to show highlights and occasional live action... I remember it being shown in 84 when Robert Millar won some mountain stages... not sure which channel tbh?

King of the Mountains even ;)

Remember when Robert Millar was sent the wrong way on a mountain stage?

If you were watching the coverage today you may have spotted a large, squat grey building next to the roundabout on the exit from Ruoms. This is the HQ of the Vignerons d’Ardèche, which has a large permanent exhibition devoted to wine-making and also a shop attached. Devotees of boring blathering will be delighted to learn that I have indeed been to the latter. Sadly, nothing I bought was memorable - but I’m sure the wines of Louis Latour would have been there, and by coincidence his HQ was passed by the tour some minutes earlier. So two reasons to suggest one of his wines as the Stage 6 bottle, and now a third - a money-generating Amazon link for Tony.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
If you were watching the coverage today you may have spotted a large, squat grey building next to the roundabout on the exit from Ruoms. This is the HQ of the Vignerons d’Ardèche, which has a large permanent exhibition devoted to wine-making and also a shop attached. Devotees of boring blathering will be delighted to learn that I have indeed been to the latter. Sadly, nothing I bought was memorable - but I’m sure the wines of Louis Latour would have been there, and by coincidence his HQ was passed by the tour some minutes earlier. So two reasons to suggest one of his wines, and now a third - a money-generating Amazon link for Tony.

Is there absolutely nothing Amazon won't sell? They'll be selling pieces of the True Cross next.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Is there absolutely nothing Amazon won't sell? They'll be selling pieces of the True Cross next.
Before long Amazon will literally sell everything, ie they will be the only retailer on the planet. God help you if they close your account, you will have to buy anything you need on the black market. Amazon account forgers will be the next super-rich criminals.

Before long Amazon will literally sell everything, ie they will be the only retailer on the planet. God help you if they close your account, you will have to buy anything you need on the black market. Amazon account forgers will be the next super-rich criminals.

And to think, I was there at the start :( I was part of the initial trial. I could have killed it there and then, drowned it with false error reports and deliberately crashed it :mad:

If I'd only known the monster it would become...

advertisement

Back