advertisement

Tour de France 2020

The TdF will always have a few quiet days, modern racing is probably more full on than in the past but the physical demands are incredible.

On stages like today I normally tune in to watch the break & then dip back in with an hour to go.

Brilliant sprint finish today though.

Well... from my cursory glance at the route it looked like they were about 30 miles away across the mountains, so I thought I’d go for an all-out cheat instead. But if I’m wrong please feel free to suggest a suitable bottle to the OP. Or even if I’m not, of course. The more bottles, and reasons for choosing them, the merrier!
Right then. They did go past the Verdon river, so I'm going to have an easy ride with VdP des Coteaux du Verdon. Without a careful look at the map and the wine books I can't think of any obvious choices in that bit of France.

The TdF will always have a few quiet days, modern racing is probably more full on than in the past but the physical demands are incredible.

On stages like today I normally tune in to watch the break & then dip back in with an hour to go.

Brilliant sprint finish today though.
It was a great finish. For the rest of it, I should have fired up the ironing board. In any case I used the ad breaks every 5 minutes to get the laundry done. I can always get the iron out tomorrow.

Right then. They did go past the Verdon river, so I'm going to have an easy ride with VdP des Coteaux du Verdon. Without a careful look at the map and the wine books I can't think of any obvious choices in that bit of France.
OK - not one I know, at least I don’t think I do. Maybe we should inveigle the OP into keeping a list of the bottles for each stage, as it was his idea (albeit on the wine thread.) I think he might be very sensibly keeping a low profile...!

OK - not one I know, at least I don’t think I do. Maybe we should inveigle the OP into keeping a list of the bottles for each stage, as it was his idea (albeit on the wine thread.) I think he might very sensibly keeping a low profile...!
I don't know it either, VdPs are 10 a penny as you know and Ventoux is everywhere. I doubt that they are much different, hot chalky uplands, Grenache Syrah blends, I suspect that it's light variations on a theme of your standard southern red. I do however like the idea of a wine list by stage.

That Verdon is a merlot -cab sav blend, here's me thinking the wines down there were all Grenache syrah. Interesting.

That Verdon is a merlot -cab sav blend, here's me thinking the wines down there were all Grenache syrah. Interesting.
Absolument.

‘Les vins de Pays des Coteaux du Verdon peuvent être élaborés à partir de nombreux cépages différents, mais ils sont dominés par des cépages traditionnels provençaux, tels que le Carianan. Cinsaut, Grenache, Syrah et Mourvèdre pour les rouges, et Grenache Blanc, Viognier, Bourboulenc, Marsanne et Roussanne pour les Blancs.’

https://gorges-du-verdon.net/blog/decouvrir-le-vin-de-pays-des-coteaux-du-verdon/

Maybe that’s why it is ‘l’Exception’?

I provided the above link so Gourmands had somewhere to go, nothing more boring than ‘I’ve been to France’ blather;)

Roglic looked so strong today, the way he rode away at the top. The others must be a bit worried.

It’s very early days, show of strength from Roglic but an awful lot can happen. I think past experience of winning a 3 week tour will count later on.

Such a good finish today, couldn’t believe the speed they were climbing, so impressive.

Primož Roglič comes from Trbovlje, Slovenia. Of course, we all know Trbovlje is home to the EU’s tallest chimney (360m) which doesn’t help much. But it is also on the Sava River, which gives its name to the wine area of Posavje. And their speciality is Cviček which is apparently sour and low in alcohol. Yum! That’s my suggestion for today, OP. And I doubt if you will do any better than Sean’s suggestion of Absinthe for stage 1!

advertisement

Back